Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard Binding Question???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kelly Lee, May 28, 2005.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I was thinking of buying a preslotted Ebony board from StewMac and using their fretwire. I was also thinking of binding the fretboard and headstock.

Question(s): Can I bind a fretboard that has already been slotted? If I can, is there anything I should watch out for at the slots? Any other input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I believe you can put binding around a fretboard that is pre-slotted. The thing to keep in mind is that the binding will not be slotted like the fingerboard (unless you make it that way). So, what I've read indicates that you have to 'cut' your frets with what are called fret tang nippers so that the tang runs the width of the fingerboard, and the edges of the frets hang over the binding.
    Hopefully that makes sense. I, myself, have not done binding on a fretboard yet, so I cannot speak from personal experience. This is solely based on what I've read. However, I'm in the same boat as you, as I hope to put binding around a stew-mac fretboard I've purchased.
    Good luck!

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You pretty much do bind the fingerboard after slotting. Otherwise, you'd have slots in the binding. This does mean that you have to undercut the tang on your fretwire, and you do have to watch that lots of glue does not flow into the slots. Or if it does, you need to clean it out.