Fretboard bye: Any pics?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave120, Feb 21, 2006.

1. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So I've been doing a bit of reading in here and came across some posts about guys using ebony dye on rosewood for a deep black looking finish. My latest project is pretty much a stealth bass and an all black theme, so I'm tempted by these posts to dye my fretboard black to go along with this theme.

Does anyone have any pictures of a rosewood board dyed with this stuff? From what I read it gets DARK, which is pretty much ok by me since that's what I'm going for, but I'd like to see what it looks like before I attempt it.

Also another question, what will it do to my inlays? Will it dye them also or does it wipe off of them? I assume it won't dye the frets. I think the inlays on my SX neck are plastic but I'm not positive on that.

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    There are some pics, along with a full writeup, over here. JWW tends to be a pretty good resource for a variety of things, especially veneer work.

3. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Thanks guys!

Hambone: Did you have to cover your inlays with something before you did that or do they not absorb the stuff? It looks pretty good from what I can see