1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

Fretboard bye: Any pics?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave120, Feb 21, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So I've been doing a bit of reading in here and came across some posts about guys using ebony dye on rosewood for a deep black looking finish. My latest project is pretty much a stealth bass and an all black theme, so I'm tempted by these posts to dye my fretboard black to go along with this theme.

Does anyone have any pictures of a rosewood board dyed with this stuff? From what I read it gets DARK, which is pretty much ok by me since that's what I'm going for, but I'd like to see what it looks like before I attempt it.

Also another question, what will it do to my inlays? Will it dye them also or does it wipe off of them? I assume it won't dye the frets. I think the inlays on my SX neck are plastic but I'm not positive on that.

Thanks!

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    There are some pics, along with a full writeup, over here. JWW tends to be a pretty good resource for a variety of things, especially veneer work.

-Nate

3. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Thanks guys!

Hambone: Did you have to cover your inlays with something before you did that or do they not absorb the stuff? It looks pretty good from what I can see