1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard came up..???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dremy2006, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Here is what happen I glued up the neck on yesterday I’m using pine for the neck and popular for the fretboard…, I cut out the neck shape today.. with the fretboard glued on.. after cutting out the neck I was thinking of a way to smooth the sides of the neck instead of using my hand plane.No.4…. So I thought..i’ll just use the template on top of the neck/fretboard.. I do not have double side tape..So I did the folding thing with some 3M tape..lol…well… I pulled out my router started to rout and the template shift.!! On my!! After I cut my fist fret slots and was coming along really well.. by the way all of this is my “practice run” until I’m comfortable, then I’ll by some “real wood”..any who; template shift.. so I put the neck to the side..Mind you, I’m out side, on the side of my house…so I put the neck to the side..In the sun, started to work on my neck pocket.. it was tight..!! I was like man I messed that neck up..So I went back for the neck, and notice that the fretboard came up???.. Here is my Q??? What happen why was the fretboard coming up..if anybody can help me with this that would be great…..and is the neck template on top of the neck to smooth the edges a good idea..Help please.. Thank you for your time……….

Here is the body with the neck template..
    SANY0609.
    Close up of the body
    SANY0610.
    Side of bass body
    SANY0611.
    Fretboard came up off of the neck, the fretboard is popular and the neck is pine
    SANY0612.
    Where I came in to deep on the side of the neck.. I had the template on top of the fretboard with tape. The template shift and I came in pass my mark.. I was using my router to smooth the edges
    SANY0613.
    Headstock
    SANY0614.
    Neck close to the heel
    SANY0615.
    Headstock view going up the neck
    SANY0616.

2. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I'm confused, did you use hide glue on your f.b.?

3. Popular: Well-liked by many
    Poplar: A species of tree

4. I use titebond II to glue the FB

5. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i hope you really did not use pine...

6. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    How long did you let it set before you worked it?

7. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    He is doing a "Dry run". This isn't the permanent neck. He is learning and is using cheap wood.

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    In my own experience, both pine and poplar take a long time to dry out, even after being kiln dried. Its possible that being in the sun released some humidity that affected the bond...

9. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    that sounds reasonable. ive had pine come unglued before when i set it too close to the stove in my shop, i know its the heat, and i use titebond 2 as well, for most things. granted, this is after 24 hours of drying time.

10. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    You have a stove in your shop, do you have a drive through window as well?:D

11. about 20 hrs or so

12. ...lol.... thank you.. I was gonna say that....

13. ..ohhhh ok.... I thought about that... next time i'll wait 2 or three days.. thanks...

- Two heads are better then one

14. ...yeah I heard that... I'm in Miami,Fl.... and it was 92, 93 yesterday..and I put the neck on top of the ..a/c fan compressor thing outside......lol....

- Two heads are better then one

15. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    oh ha ha, ill have you know it gets very cold here in nova scotia in the winter. we gotta stay warm, and our igloos dont have very good heating. :D

16. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    I bet it gets really cold where you're at. I bought a shop heater a few years ago.

:cool:I had a few more one liners I was gonna use, but I stopped myself. Keep warm winter's coming to soon this year.

17. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    There is a multi-quote function