Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard care

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcadmus, Jan 2, 2001.

1. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Any advice out there on proper fretboard care? I have a Carvin LB75 with an ebony fingerboard and a Fender Jazz with a Rosewood fingerboard.

Should I be treating the fretboards with anything, and if so what and how often?

2. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Wow. This was my question. I have a Carvin LB75 with ebony board. Perhaps after 4 Years this thread will get answered.

3. lol thats one heck of a bump, really wish i could help you out but i have no idea

4. Here.. Try one of these... I use it thrice a month

Full Cleaner
    Just the Fretboard

I love that word, Thrice... Not once, not twice, but thrice...

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Regarding the rosewood fretboard, use lemon or linseed oil about once a year, in the fall. A little goes a long way. The ebony board could probably get the same treatment but Martin guitars suggests that you use light weight 3 in 1 machine oil. All you are trying to do is prevent the wood from drying out which will lead to cracking and splitting. Unless you live in a area that is super dry, once a year should be plenty.

6. Should one use raw or boiled linseed oil?

7. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have an ebony finger board, and I've heard it doesn't need oil, and I've never treated it.

But if I did I would use boiled linseed oil.