Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mnadelin, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I'm going to change the strings and replace the bridge on my fender jazz fretless. What would be recommended for cleaning my fretboard? A friend of mine had some stuff called guitar honey. I don't have any myself, and he's not around at the moment. Are there any more conventional methods for cleaning one's fretboard?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
  3. I think the proper thing to do is to use lemon oil. I use lemon oil and cotton buds, and wipe off the excess oil with a paper towel.

4. I use the Guitar Research Lemon oil for my Ibanez's rosewood board and one of those GR lintless cloths(No matter what, The frets always seem to snag onot a regular bath cloth)

5. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    scott's "Liquid Gold" will work.

it will even polish the frets to a nice shine.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I use the honey as well but if it is a fineshed neck then it wouldnt make a diff!

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    You've just solved a problem I've been having when I clean my FB with lemon oil. I use an old dishtowel converted to a rag and little fabric hairs keep coming off everytime I use it. I'm going to switch to the cotton balls next time. Thanks.

8. Hmm... There are threads on this, but here!

I'd recommend that. :smug:

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I use boiled linseed oil. Also, I first use a "dremel" tool with a soft brush to get the gunk off the frets.

10. Last night I applied some Dunlop 65 lemon oil on my purpleheart wishbass fingerboard...

I got the bass a year ago and had done nothing with the fingerboard prior to this....

I applied it 3 times and wiped it each time, and then I hit it with 400 grit sandpaper (only because, being a wishbass, there were some pencil marks I wanted to get rid of.. :rolleyes: )...

All I can say is WOW! It is soooo smooth and it looks so darn good! I can't wait to restring her and play her. But I'm currently doing a mod on the bridge (channelling the bass for individual bridge pieces), so it will be a while before I get to play her again...I can't WAIT! :hyper: :hyper:

11. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy

I do exactly the same. ;)

12. +1

but lemon oil is the easiest to use.

13. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    lemon oil and Q-tips :D

14. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Use orange oil wipes to clean {Pledge}, to oil go to a gun shop and get a bottle of Hoppes No-9. It's used for firearms and wooden rifle stocks. It's a clear/transparent/colorless oil. It penetrates quickly and contains no drying agents or petroleum distalates. Use this once a year, it's all you'll need anyway.

15. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004