Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard Inlays

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lonote, Jun 8, 2004.

1. This isn't a big deal but I'm a little curious about it. I just bought a used neck for my P-Bass clone from e-Bay. I installed it and it is functionally perfect. It is a very high quality neck, it isn't branded but it is identical to the neck on my Reverend but with P-Bass dimensions and a Fender-shaped headstock...but I digress. There's one odd thing, though and it is purely cosmetic. It appears the previous owner removed the inlays in the rosewood board and filled the holes with wood putty or something similar. From a few feet away it looks like a vintage Fender with clay dot inlays but up close it looks odd because it is kind of poorly done. Has anybody else run into something like this? I know I can buy the inlays from StewMac. I presume I can just drill out the wood filler in the neck to the necessary depth and glue the in new inlays, right?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The problem is the depth of the inlay hole, you will have to trim and sand down the top of the newly installed inlays so they are flush with the fingerboard. Very difficult to do without removing the frets on the bass.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

4. Hey Rickbass,
    I had never heard of those before, that seems like a way cool alternative to hacking the fretboard.
    Thanks for the link!
    Dirk

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dirk - I have an artist friend who is a whiz with an X-Acto (sp?) knife and I was thinking about having him do some kind of crazy stuff with the Fretware products.

6. ...can I go? The 1/4" dots, precut from Paua Abalone are only $10. I sent FW a question as to whether their products will adhere to the imperfectly smoothed pseudo-clay dots on my neck. If they'll work, I'll order up a set. Thanks for the information...I'd never heard of these. What'll they think of next?!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Would the pre cut blocks be too wide for a bass neck about as wide as a jazz bass, maybe a little wider. They seem to be cut for an electric guitar?
    edit: nvm seems you have to cut them to the size/shape you specifically want.

8. There's a guy using the screen name hippiesandwich. He's a member here at TB and at the DudePit.

http://p219.ezboard.com/bthedudepit.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hippiesandwich@thedudepit

He has these on a couple of basses (previously owned). PM him, he will happily tell you how well they work and even has a couple of photos so you can see what they look like.

lowellp@garlic.com

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Yo! I got a couple squares and cut my own blocks, worked out great. Here be the pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Wow! They look great but how well do they adhere to the fretboard?

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    The fretware overlays are VERY thin ("weffer theen", if you will :D) and VERY sticky. They adhere so well in fact that you have to take great care in installing them. The abalone is so thin and the glue is so strong that you get only one shot at placing them on the board, and once placed you cannot removed the overlay without destroying it. Best way I found to apply them was to lay the exacto knife blade on it's side and stick the very edge of the overlay to the tip of the blade - then move the overlay into place and pull the edge of the blade out from behind it - presto!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As soon as i get a job and can spare the $10 im going to get dot ones for my godin.

13. Thank you for responding! ;)

Treena