1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard is buckeling on my L1k

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Nighttrain1127, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What is the fix? I am guessing it is the truss rod. Is there a cure besides a new neck?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You're gonna have to be way more specific.

Does the neck have it's normal curvature, but just a little more?
    Or is it backbowed?

Or, is the problem only where the neck and body meet?

Or, something else?

3. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    There is a bump down the middle of rhe fretboard above the truss rod,it is raised up so it is noticable but does not interfere with playability it starts about half way down the first fret and stops at the bottom of the 9th and the rod still functions properly and it has not raised the frets as far as I can tell.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Any way you can post pics?

Having read that, I don't want to make further comment without pics.

5. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    :meh: I didnt notice anything like that when I had it. I hope there is no issue with it!! I adjusted the bass when I got it and thought initially that the truss rod was sticking but I gave the neck some reverse tension while adjusting it and it turned fine.

Are you sure its the wood or is it possibly the finish? The finish on that neck was so worn that there were raised sections of the remaining finish under the strings, looks like bumps going up and down the neck.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The wood has raised some above the truss rod the rod functions fine and it plays well I am just wondering if the neck is going to have to be replaces in the not too distant future. And I'll try to get pics tomorrow morning and post them.

7. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I hope not!! I have never had neck problems on any of my basses. I would take it to someone who does good guitar setup work for an opinion. Keep me posted man...

8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If its the same L1000 I used to have- I would guess its just the finish under the A and D strings being more obviously worn than the finish between them. The truss rod worked fine for me as well, though I only ever tuned it to D standard- so there was less tension than E standard. The finish wear on that neck definitely made that bass look like it was in more trouble than it actually was! It was raised and grooved and cracked all over (I'm guessing the original owner, a Colorado mountain dweller, probably took the bass back and forth between freezing outside temperatures and well heated bars and homes many times without letting it adjust to the temperature change), but the bass played great despite all that- at least for me!

Hope you get it figured out!
    Karl

9. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Hey Karl! Yeah thats the same bass I got from you.

Nighttrain definitely take it to someone if you can. In a worst case if there is wood compression happening, I would want to take the tension off it asap and get it set properly. I really dont have experience with truss rods much beyond setting them and have never had an issue. Does anyone know if this sort of thing can be fixed?

In the meantime, bdgotoh has a G&L neck for sale in the misc section on the cheap. I guess it had a ski jump that was filed down but its 3 bolt. Not sure if that would be a good alternative for you or not?

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Pending pics-and from what sunbeast is saying-there may not be anything to fix.

if it's merely a finish problem, that shouldn't effect a thing; and it's not something i'd choose to "fix" on a vintage G&L.
    that'd be "mojo" by me, and likely devalue the instrument, should you ever sell it.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    If you have a "macro" function on your camera, please try again.

I cain't tell nuttin from those, sorry.

12. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    If it is the dark lines in the pictures that you are talking about, that is just the laquer finish directly below the strings. You can see the shades in this pic from my sale ad.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78527&d=1200004413

Light spots on the neck are where the finish is thin and has been mostly worn away and the darker areas have less finish worn off. There are raised bumps of finish below each string most of the way up and down the neck. Its nothing to worry about.

13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah- I noticed that the finish on the fretboard on that bass seemed a little thicker than on my maple boarded L2000- meaning it was much easier to actually touch the fretboard (or at least the finish) with the strings...

14. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have looked at the neck again and measured the places where I thought the rod was causing a bump and it is all good. thanks for all the info and help. I believe the neck is fine and it plays fine and there are no high frets or anything so this is the end of this line of questioning.