fretboard knowledge?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dabass, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    What's the best way to "master the fretboard"? Or apply the method of learning the fretboard in a more practical way! I've tried "fretboard flash cards" and there is no "carry-over" to when I actually have the bass in front of me! Note by note string by string is painfully boring..... I think the biggest barrier in my development as a player has been really mastering the fretboard!!
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Try Pacman's scale practice. It's a 'sticky' on this forum. It will work fine. I especially recommend saying the names of the notes as you play them. Yea, you'll need to find a private place to pratice and even then it seems a tad dorky, but it really works.

Finding some simple music to read will help too.
  3. Yeah, Pacman's method is a great way to get familiar with the fingerboard and scales.
  4. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006

There is a software out there called Absolute Fretboard and it is awesome!!!

It can help you learn all your notes on the fretboard. It also has lots of drills and you can program it in certain sections of the neck...

Good Luck!!!
  5. You can also go to in the "basics" section there are fretboard notated chords, scales and arpegios, helps you to see the patterns.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Simandl Bk. 1 and 2 should do the trick.
  7. Never thought of using Simandl for BG...I'm trying that at home tonight.
  8. Well I learned the fretboard like this, 3rd fret on the E string is a G.

A string 3rd fret is a C, G string 3rd fret is a "g# octave, and so on"

E string First fret is a f, see just like learning you're abc's.
  9. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Well, I would like to develop note recognition to the point where I can play Dflat major or minor starting with my 4th finger on the B string @ the 14th fret and from the 4th finger on the 16th fret of the A string or starting from any finger on any string anywhere on the bass up and down,.. I think Pacman's method on this thread makes alot of sense!!!
  10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    this really confuses me.

do you mean to learn all the 1st fret notes, then 2nd, and so on? if not that, then what? could you elaborate a little? :confused:
  11. :confused:

I'm not readin' ya on this one.... but if it works for you, that's cool. :bassist:
  12. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005

Who was the question directed to?
  13. Sorry guys, I learned the chromatic scale first, and now I've been learning all the other notes I.e octave F3 an so, Hey Dabass sorry to confuse you, and goes for the other guys too, anways Learn the chromatic scale first.
  14. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
  15. For what its worth. Hears how I remember it. I read in 4ths.

Remember that the open string notes are. E, A, D, G (all a 4th apart)
    Note: that the 12th fret are the same notes

Each String is a 4th apart. So I memorized what the fourth are:
    EA, AD, DG, GC, CF, FBb, BbEb, EbAb, AbDb, DbGb, GbB

E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, B (keeps repeating, so from B you go to E and so on)

Note that the 6th fret is all #'s/b's (Bb, Eb, Ab, Db)
    Note the 7th fret is whole notes (B,E,A,D)

B and E will always have neighbors, which are BC, EF (1/2 Step apart).
    They are located on the 2nd and 3rd Fret on the A (BC) and D (EF)Strings, 7th and 8th fret on the E (BC) and A (EF)Strings, 9th and 10th fret on the D (CD)and G (EF)Strings.

Note that F note will always have (#/b note, 1/2 step) above (A#/Bb) and up the neck (F#/Gb) as its neighbor. No Whole note neighbors above and up the neck

You will notice that once you know the order of 4th's, identifying notes on the fretboard become easier. Also when practicing the 4ths, you can start on E (seventh fret A String) and play the R, 3rd, 5th triad and say out loud E major. Then go to A (seventh fret D String ..remember the circle of fourths) and play the R, 3rd and 5th and say the chord. keep doing this till you hear the chord in your head and follow the fourths and name the chord.

Hear is a pic of the fretboard in color
  16. Sorry , made a typo, should be in red

9th and 10th fret on the D (BC)and G (EF)Strings.
  17. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    It seems the value in Pacman's method is that it really forces you to listen and indentify the notes by location and "sound" at the same time. It also helps break up playing in "familiar patterns". I've been at it only 2 days and it's helped already!!! Amazing!!!!