Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard Material question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrunkenJoker84, Apr 20, 2002.

1. DrunkenJoker84

DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    Whats the difference between the few different fretboard materials: maple, rosewood, etc?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    conventional wisdom says that maple is brighter and rosewood is darker.

I have played/owned a variety of Musicmen and Fender basses and can honestly say using my ears that the difference is very slight.

I recently 'upgraded' my guitar. I sat in a shop for 30 mins using my amp and two Strats (bear with me) one was a Mim Tex Mex with a poplar body and rosewood board the other a US57 with alder body vintage pups and a one piece maple neck. The sound differences were very slight. Ok the different body woods and pickups may have cancelled out the fretboard but I personally think that the fingerboard makes a small difference.

The major difference for me is cosmetic. I think that a blonde or white blond ash body and a plame maple neck/board is killer whilst a flame top with a darker burst looks better with a rosewood or ebony board.

Just my twopence