Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard out of tune?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by storm10, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Ive never really noticed this but all of the notes i play on the fretboard are sharp but all my open strings are perfectly in tune. Is there anything else i can do besides tune my guitar sharp and not play any open strings.

2. Hmm, it sounds like an intonation job might be needed. Generally, you'll have to make the string a bit longer to flatten it out. Search the forums to find out how... basically, it involves turning the screw attached to each saddle at the bridge. Push the saddle towards the end of the bass to make the string have a longer vibrating length. This should correct it, at least partially. if the problems persist you may have a fret or neck problem.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, most people will say intonation is your problem, but I would think that it could be high action. An open note would be in tune but when you press down teh string bends more than it should and the pitch is slightly changed. If your action is low, then I would say check the intonation.

4. what exactly do you mean by intontation sorry if thats a really dumb question

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Whafro,
    That's exactly what the intonation process compensates for.

Storm,
    Not a dumb question. Do a forum search or use Google- there are tons of step by step tutorials available.