Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaguarcat311, May 3, 2005.

1. i am planning on getting a purpleheart fretboard for a neck i am making, and i havent seen too many radiused ones. dont think i've seen any actually....so, if i go ahead and make my own fretboard, how do i do the radiusing?

2. You can get radiused sanding blocks from Stewart Macdonald and Luthier's Mercantile. Also, you could build a jig to do it wil a router. A buddy and I built a jig to make your own radiused sanding blocks (actually, mostly he built it). The results were ridiculously good for only a couple of hours of work. We wanted blocks for a 3" radius board and I haven't seen any available so we made our own.

3. wow thats great, thanks. isnt 3" radius a little small? how does it play? got any pictures?

4. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    yeah i've got a ruler infront of me and 3" seems like a violin or celo radius.... oh and to stay on top of things: here's intstructions on makeing a radius block jig if you're cheap like me and won't buy the right tools for the job :D

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/radius.htm

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    The 3" block is for an EUB I've got in the works (I'm the buddy). The only problem was that the width of my radiused block is limited at really small radii. Anything bigger than about 6" should be fine, though.

I can't remember who I stole the jig idea from, but I'll try to track it down and post a link.

-Nate

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nevermind, looks like ArtisFallen beat me to it. That's the gist of the one we threw together. It works great with a bit of patience.

-Nate