1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard radius

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JOL013, Oct 25, 2013.

1. JOL013

JOL013

Aug 31, 2013
    Hello all! So first off, please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong forum, this is my second post and I'm not sure my way around the site quite yet.

So I recently began playing an Ibanez BTB675 about 2 weeks ago, and have began experiencing a dull ache/pain in my fretting hand. Now before this bass, I was playing an Epiphone EB-0, which has a scale of 30.5 inches. The Ibanez BTB675 has a scale of 35 inches, so I thought that perhaps my hand was sore from having to adjust to the length of the scale, but after doing more research, and as my hand becomes sore, I found out that perhaps my hand is sore because of the...fretboard radius? The BTB675 has a fretboard radius of 15.75 inches, which is apparently very flat. I'm not sure what the fretboard radius of my EB-0 is, and I'm not sure how to measure it myself. Could my hand be sore because of the fretboard radius on my new bass? :meh:

edit: I should specify the pain is on the same side as my ulna bone, it feels sore.

2. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    Are you bending strings a lot? I'd put money on the scale change. That's a very large change to get used to. One extreme to the other for bass.

3. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    The tension/flexiblity of your chosen strings combined with your setup... neck relief/saddle height directly impact how hard your left hand works... more work... more pain.

How's your setup?

4. JOL013

JOL013

Aug 31, 2013
    I do bend the strings often, which takes quite some effort, and I'm using the standard setup that I received my bass in. The string gauge goes from .45 to .130". I haven't played with the action on it yet. Also the BTB675 is a five string whereas the EB-0 is a four. So that may also have something to do with it.