Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard Replacement, Again

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Oct 26, 2005.

1. I decided to make this thread again, seeing as I'm starting to get severe gas for the aerodyne... again.

I really want to get one of the japanese aerodynes in gunmetal blue. What I REALLY want to do with it, is put a cream bound, block inlay fretboard onto it. I don't want to replace the whole neck, because I want to keep the matching fender headstock.

Anyone got any ideas on what kind of price this would be and if its even possible?

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    It would probably be easier to paint the headstock on a new neck to match the body than to remove and replace the fingerboard, especially with a bound one. It'd be a lot easier to mess up changing the fingerboard too unless you get a professional to do it, in which case I guarantee it's gonna cost big $$.

3. I like Dave's approach - less work for a more quality product at a much lower cost. The fretboard alone would run $200+ not including the inlay, binding, and paint.