fretboard safe paint?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pelvicfury, Feb 20, 2006.

1. I was looking to put a design on a fretless bass of mine. I was wondering what kind of paint is safe to put onto the fretboard. Also, what kind of paint would not chip off as the strings slide overtop. I know there is something out there that will do the job, I just don't know what. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
  2. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a paint that wouldn't come off. I'd imagine the best course of action would be to paint your design, then cover the whole board in a coating of clear epoxy.

You might get better responses in the Luthiers forum.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Considering that the wood will eventually wear away, so will anything on top of it. Much quicker too.

Lining a fingerboard is much more complex than using a ruler and white paint you know. Those lines are inlaid INTO the neck for a reason, so they dont wear off.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you have a light-colored board, you could paint it with dyes. There's a high probability the colors would bleed, so I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than hippie decorations, but at least it wouldn't chip right off.
  5. well I've seen it done elsewhere thought someone might know something about it.