1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard scales?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by voodoo92, Oct 4, 2010.

1. gday, im saving up some money to track down a guitar tech to work on my CORT GB35A with the neck. Its a 35" 22 fret but i want him to convert it to a 34" 24 fret without moving the bridge. is this possible? and its ok to make the board longer towards the pups. Cheers
    adam

2. you would have to change the whole fretboard too if you want that change!!!

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    No

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    It is possible, but it wouldn't look good, wouldn't feel the same, wouldn't sound the same, and would be stupid expensive.

If you want a different scale, sell that bass and buy the one you want

5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    No, it is not possible.

You can make it into a ~33" 21 fret by tuning it down a half step and putting a capo at the first fret.

If you're having trouble stretching at the head end, try moving the butt end strap lug to shift the bass towards your body.

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yes it is possible to do this without moving the bridge, you will just have to chop an inch off the heel end of the neck and reset it, or move the neck 1 inch more towards the bridge.

Scale length is the distance between the front of the nut and the bridge saddles. This has to be 34" for it to work as a 34", Pilot has the closest remedy ig you want it shorter without changing anything.

7. So let me ask this, I have a body . Just a body which has the pickups and bridge all installed . I do not have a neck . The body was of a 34" scale length bass . Now if I ask a luthier to build me a neck for this body he can make a 33" scale length right with any problems ??

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yes, it's very simple, as long as there is room for the shorter scale neck to be properly set into the body, as it will have to have the neck pocket moved closer, or move the bridge.

9. Sure it's possible. A neck with a fingerboard with frets spaced for a 34" scale will have to be made. The fingerboard can extend less than 1.5" beyond the present neck route (a 35" scale 22 fret bass needs about a 25.17" fingerboard and a 34" scale 24 fret bass needs about 25.5" yet the nut end will be 1" closer to the bridge) so it shouldn't interfere with a neck pickup. Also, note that you'd also be changing the pickup locations respective to the strings nodes.

10. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    vibhas - if you are making a new neck (and fingerboard), it can be made to almost any scale, but it puts the pickups in a proportionally different place and will change the character of sound they pickup

11. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I guess if you're making a new neck, there are lots of possibilities. But vibhas_2310's question is not the same as voodoo92's original question.Based on his original statement "I'm going to have my guitar tech work on it" I thought he was looking for some simple solution that is not actually available.

You can't just cut down and reset the neck closer to the bridge, without putting on a new fretboard. The present frets are laid out in a 35" scale pattern, regardless of where the body and bridge are in relation to them.

12. tune down half step and put a capo at the first fret, done :bag:

13. wow lot of replys and this is my first reply. so i knew that i would need a new fretboard obviously, and i dont mind 100% if its 34" the main thing i want is 24 frets. the 34" scale is just a want not need and im not in the position to buy and sell the whole bass. Cheers

14. none

none

Nov 5, 2007
    Croatia
    Are you sure it's 35"?
    http://www.cortguitars.com/_webapp_2714984/GB35A#

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

It'll probably be relatively expensive to have the 24 fret fingerboard grafted on as it is, with having to remove the old one, then all of the work in making the new one, the fretwork and setup.... How often do you really need those 3 extra high notes? Have you thought about an altered tuning or stringing? Converting it to 6 string, assuming you have a wide enough nut and bridge spacing, would be much cheaper in the long run.

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The man from the state in which is made up of entirely 2 Peninsulas has nailed it......

17. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Interesting point - if you have one song that uses a G, but no need of the F#, you can always just play the harmonic.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021