1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard shifted.....intonation problem?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 59jazz, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm building a P-bass for Motown & blues gigs. While gluing and clamping down the slotted f-brd, the nut end of the board, shifted 1/32" from the center line; butt end of the f-board is centered. Would this cause a problem with intonation?

Thanks Gents! p5

2. 59jazz

bumpage.

3. Hi,

So long as the fret board is straight & centered, 1/32" of an inch should not be a problem. You have more travel than that in your saddles.

Time to relax.

edg

4. 59jazz

'spose you're right.....add into the equation, LaBella 760-FMs with an elevated string height off the board:eyebrow:

Thanks edg! p5

5. Hi,

I don't know about the strings or the string height off the fret board. I still can't imagine that 1/32" front to back will make that much difference.

I would have to believe that if the strings are an issue once built, they would have still been an issue if built to a zero tolerance.

Of course, I stand a good chance of being wrong.

edg

6. 59jazz

OOOPs! not front to back shift......the nut end of the f-brd has shifted to the side by 1/32" from the center line. The rear of the neck (butt end) is centered. hard to see in the attatched pic.

7. Should be fine. Just adjust things a little to get the strings as close to a straight run as possible. A front-to-back shift would be a slight issue, but even then, all you have to do is move the bridge a matching 1/32".

8. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Keep on building the neck. When the bass is complete and you are doing the initial setup, when you get to doing the intonation, check your lowest fretted notes with the tuner after you have set the bridge saddles.

There's a chance the first two or three fretted notes might be off a bare hair due to the FB shift at the nut end.

If so, you can fix that by compensating the nut a slight bit as needed.

9. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    I would just re-draw your centerline. use a straitedge against each side of the fingerboard to extend that taper to the end of your blank - mark these two lines with pencil. At the end of the neck blank and at the nut end of the fingerboard, measure and mark halfway between these two lines. These two points can be used to create a new, and accurate, centerline.

10. Ya know, that's a good idea. Do that.

11. 59jazz

Thanks Karl.......I'll do that. Btw, have any relatives from the west coast?

12. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Hmm, no. Not that I know of. I wish I did...I'd visit all the time :D

13. 59jazz

My mom still lives in Santa Cruz....just call her up and tell her you're one of the many cousins;)