Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard slotting - outsourcing referral

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I plan to outsource the fretboard slotting of my fretboards. After an exhaustive search in this forum, I've come to the conclusion that this is not a previous topic, or that I'm a poor guesser of search words today.

Has anyone here used an outside machine shop here in the US to slot your fretboards? If so:

* were you pleased with the results enough to recommend them to me?

* did they specify that the fretboard(s) you sent them were radiused in advance?

My plan is to send batches of several boards together, and that the board widths would be sufficient for 4/5/6 string basses. I would specify the slot distances (including a zero fret and nut slot) and width/depthfor a 24 fret neck, and then use these slotted blanks as needed for each bass. As a believer that some things make more sense to outsource than do in-house, this is one of two tasks that will not be done by me.

TIA for any resource tips you can provide!

All the best,

R

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I owe you a dinner, Hammy! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

I had a rough day getting anything done bass wise :( ... but I managed to code a new user interface for a paint shop customer :hyper:

Once again I am indebted to you ...

R

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Randy stopped slotting boards for a while but this looks like a new page so maybe he is doing it again. That's good news as I may need to farm out some boards myself.

I bought a batch of rosewood boards from him a while back and the slotting was well-done and accurate.