Fretboard Swelling!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lackey, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, so I haven't been playing my Kingston 5er very much lately, and it sat in its case for about a week. I pulled it out the other day, and quickly noticed that massive fret buzz was eminating when I played between the 7th-11th frets on the G string. I eyeballed it and noticed a bulge in the fretboard in the 13th fret vicinity. Well, I made sure it was in tune and then left it out for a couple days - hoping it would correct itself.

It's no better. This is a maple board, and I've heard of them having seasonal difficulties due to moisture etc..

Any remedies I can attempt? (truss rod, overtightening strings, magic potions...). Or am I in need of a fret level?

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It depends. If it's minor enough to go away, I would err to the conservative side and opt for as little work as possible. If, however, it's more severe, a fret level will only temporarily mask the problem. You may need to have the frets pulled and the fretboard planed.

Word of caution: If you have the fretboard planed and refretted, make sure to get someone who's meticulous, as the smallest of bumps can translate into problems in the future.
  3. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I had a similar issue with the Geddy Lee Fender J-bass,I am a bass tech working on apprenticship and my teachers diagnosis was to pull all the fretts in the are (including a few in each direction past the hump)and level the neck,this is a job for a pro ONLY.
    It should be under the factory warrenty if its still valid,mine was so bad the Fender tech deemed my neck unrepairable and got me a new bass.
    My advice call the CO. and get the name of the closest CERTIFIED repairman and go from there.