1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretboard thickness and Padauk...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by T2W, Aug 21, 2007.

1. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Well, I have two questions:

1 - I gave my fretboard a nice little radius, about 30inches, and I might have sanded it a bit too much, its down to 4mm on the edges and about 5 in the middle. Is this too thin? Its Cocobolo... and its freakin sweet ! it looks a bit weird, but other than that, is there any other downsides to thin fretboards?

2 - A buddy of mine gave me a huge piece of Padauk, yes I have good friends, Im thinking of doing a Mahogany, Maple and Padauk Neck, no idea what Padauk is like, is it too heavy, too stiff for a neck? I would also use a Padauk fretboard. Maybe Wenge would be cool with Padauk? anyways im mostly worried about stiffness, I used Ipe in a neck once, twas a big mistake ! what dyou think?

Thanks !

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    you should be fine with 4 mm and 5 mm in the middle, it's a little thinner than most, but personally I have done fretboards as thin as .205 without any ill effect.

As for padauk, I have used it quite sucessfully in necks as both stringers, and as the main body of a neck with Maple stringers. If the grain is good and straight, it should work out fine for you.

3. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Sweet ! Thank you sir, as the main body of a neck with Maple stringers, thats what I wanted to hear. Ill go ahead and build a short scale 4 string.

4. Padauk is great for a neck. Not anywhere near ipe in any way. I built a 6 string with a 1 piece qs padauk neck and that thing never moves!

5. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    My friends asked me to build them some guitars... for free and I mean for FREE (not even the materials)!!! I like your friends!!!

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Wilser is dead on...Padauk is a great neck wood

7. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Wow that stuff smells good ! it smells like cake right out of the oven ! It seems to be a very nice wood, cuts easily, lets hope it aint as annoying as Cocobolo when it comes to gluing up. Ill use Mahogany, Padauk and Maple veneers for this neck. Ill post pics of it soon on my progress thread. Peace.

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Another vote for Paduak. I only built one bass out of it and really liked working with it....t

9. Another vote for padauk, but strongly against working with it. That lovely smell (I do think it is lovely) makes me cough and gag. It doesn't help that it tends to make a very-very fine dust that hangs in the air. Once I finish this project, it'll take a fair sum of money to make me do it again. But it's such a great wood! :crying:

Edit: That too! Orange everywhere!
    |
    V

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Get ready to ruin some clothes; once the dust gets in there's no getting it out.

I've used it in necks too.