Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretboard....?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Balor, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Curly ebony

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Madagascar rosewood

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Others

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    My custom 7 is coming along nicely... not very rapidly though, but what can you expect from a 1 year build time....:rolleyes:

Anyway, most of the woods has been selected: maple neck, spanish cedar core and cocobolo front and back! The piece of cocobolo is very dark and nicely figured piece of wood. My current request to you guys conserns the type of wood you'd us for something like this little project of mine. I selected 2 boards: one is some sort of curly ebony, the other is madagascar rosewood. Which one would male the best fretboard in your view? Any other suggestion are well come!

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I said the curly ebony.. it will probably look excellent against the dark wood of your bass how ever either choice will be superb.. it all depends on the sound you want... is it a fretless or fretted?... i am guessing fretted.... but i don't think you can go wrong with either choice.. :) can't wait to see your new bass. Who is making it for you?

3. Is this a "look" question or a "tone" question? :)

If it's a "look" question, I would choose a wood that compliments the body. If the body is dark and wavy, I would not choose a wavy wood for the fretboard. (This is sounding weird!) I would choose a look like very black ebony with no pattern. Or even something like maple. My personal opinion is that the madagascar rosewood looks best with a lighter body wood like quilted maple. I would also use the same body wood for the headstock. I like the look of a matchong headstock.

If it's a "tone" question, I would choose a rosewood. I would think the coco will be on the bright side (although I'm unsure of the effect of cedar) and the rosewood would mellow it out a little.

Rickbass would be a much better resource on the effect of wood on tone.

Regardless of your choice for fretboard, cocbolo is a beautiful wood! I'm sure it will be a great bass.

Good luck!
    Jeff

4. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    btw Jeff your avatar is funny :D

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Pretty short list considering what is available.

I think the best combination of sound and looks is babinga. It's a medium colored wood that looks good with just about any other wood and has superior resonance. Personally I favor tighter grained wood for fretboards as well as necks.

Also, I think fretboard differences on a fretted bass are much more subtle than the fingerboard of a fretless bass. With a fretless you have the added consideration of wear.