fretboardoil = paraffin(?)oil?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zanthrax, Jul 22, 2002.

1. I asked my bassteacher on some tips of what I could do to take care of my bass the next time I changed strings and he answered that I could use some steelwool and paraffinoil on the fretboard. (My greatest problem is that I don't know if "paraffin" is the correct word...)

#1. I presume that i should us the steelwool between the fretwires.

#2. Is paraffin oil a good fretboardoil?
  2. Hmm i would probably only use the steel wool on the frets themselves, "buff" them up, but i wouldn't use steelwool between the frets, scratch/braise the wood i would think. Never tried it, someone may have.

Same on the paraffin thing too, never tried it nor heard of it... Any ideas anyone?

3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    As long as you use 0000 grade steel wool you can run it over the entire fretboard as long as the fret board is not a finished one such as Maple.
    What kind of wood is used for your fretboard??
  4. Well I suppose he means 0000 grade steelwool... My(???)fretboard is made of rosewood.
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    make sure you tape up your pickups if you do that... steel wool filings will get magnetically stuck to the pickups and will never come off.
  6. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I'd lean away from the "paraffin" is I wuz you. I've only hearn the word paraffin used in conjunction with the waxy stuff used for pups. I shudder to think of what a waxy paraffin build up could do to your strings and fretboard. Clean your fretboard with any of the commercially available products meant specifically for that job or a bit of lemon oil. If you keep your fretboard clean ( wipe it down after gigs, practice, clean with avbove mentioned products during string changes) you won't NEED steel wool to take off the gunk.

I wouldn't steel wool rosewood. It's got some open grain that fibers could get caught in. I wouldn't steelwool a finished maple fretboard, as it will dull the finish. ( now doing the BACK of a finished maple neck, that's another story. Mmmmmm, silky!)

On the other hand, I occasionally take steelwool to my stingrays maple neck. It's unfinished, so nothing to scratch up, and the grain is so tight that fibers don't get left behind.