Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crud19, Apr 17, 2002.

1. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    Could y'all give me some feedback on the differences between maple and rosewood fretboards. Of all the basses I've owned, not one has had a maple board. I'm thinking of getting a new neck, and I'm wondering what to expect. Thanks.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The opinions are wide here. Some say that Maple is harder, therefore brighter. Others, including me, say that with all other componants of the basses the same, the difference between maple and rosewood is slight at best.

You can find a great deal of information by doing a search on this subject. It has been discussed countless times in past threads.

Chas

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Maple is a little brighter and has a bit more "snap", while Rosewood is a little deeper and has a bit more "punch". Most of the tone is really given from your playing technique, though a bass made entirely of maple compared to a bass made of mahogany with a rosewood board would sound a lot brighter... Deciding on which board to get should be a choice relative to the rest of your bass: what kind of body/neck woods are you using, what kind of pickups, etc... If you need a little more oomph, go with rosewood, if you need a little more clarity, go with maple

Hope that helps
    Dave

PS. Ebony is supposed to have a tone inbetween if you're interested in that... if you're getting an unlined fretless, ebony looks sooooooooo nice:D

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think that ebony is much closer to Maple than Rosewood. Pau Ferro, a very dense Rosewood, also is known for that "in between" sound. I agree the difference is very subtle.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wenge = the ultimate :)

if you want growl, that's the stuff. kind of inbetween ,but it definitely has a different tonal character than any other fretboard material. kinda like the evil twin of ebony.

maple's great for slappin
    rosewoods good for oldschool sound
    and ebony's good for everything (and fretless)

IMO/E of course