1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretbuzz. Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Hell Yeah!

30 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Hell No!

57 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I actually like to have some fretbuzz when I play. I dig the clatter of the strings on the neck sometimes. I control it by palm muting with which I can create some cool percussive sounds.
    I've read a lot of posts about people trying to get rid of the buzzing, but none where anyone actually say that they utilize it.

Does anyone else like having some fretbuzz?

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I set my basses low, and use a light touch. When I want a dirty sound, it just takes a bit of dig to make that buzz cause some nastyness to my sound. I dig it.

3. I like the noisy fret buzz... but, there are some basses that are trully un-playable because of the fret noise. It's better to have it just if you want it.

:smug:

4. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I really, really don't like it on the bass. Just another reason I prefer fretless.

I do like having just a wee bit on guitar, but definitely not on bass.

5. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Usually I don't like it, but when really digging in I can dig it (no pun intended). But since I try to set my basses up as low as possible, I can live with some.

6. I can also live with a bit. But sometimes it just drives me nuts.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, the classic Fender sound is actually kinda inherently fret-buzzy so most Fender (J and P) players get it whether they really want it or not. I happen to think is one of the charms of playing Fenders.

Of course (before anyones jumps on my assertion) you can set up, and play a Fender with little or no fret buzz if you choose.

While I personally want a pretty polite sound most of the time, I do want and expect some buzzing when I really dig in .. it's sort of like force feedback. So my answer was hell yeah!

enjoy

8. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I voted no, but that's because I prefer fretless. When I play fretted I do like to have a little fret noise.

9. depends on the sound im going for my old band i used a lot of fret noise to halp my linds stand out but i find my self staying awar from it now-a-days

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    +1

I guess most players would refer to this as "growl". I also like the action low, and play with a light touch. Just a wee bit of buzz is best.

MM

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's alot easier, IMO, to have fretbuzz/string noise than to not have it. That being said I think it's an advantage to work toward a ZERO noise, clean as possible sound. More often that not a cleaner sound is requested in a studio setting. This is only based on my experience tho. This may fall into the timeless, "learn to play by the rules before you break the rules" mind-set, but I like to play it safe whenever possible.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I used to absolutely hate it, but always wanted my action super-low. Now I just set it low and forget about it. I don't mind the buzz at all anymore (to a point) and usually I can't tell it's there in a live setting. It's easy to eliminate with a light attack too.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I like it, but control it so that I can get pure, clean notes and then dig in when I want to get that delicious buzzy noise!

14. No fret buzz, but low action and fret clanking is a must, IMO. You should be able to get that sound if you want to, and be able to avoid it at other times.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's my take on it, too. You should have included a "carrots" option.

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I don't mind having a little bit fretbuzz either - Voted no, but carrots would've been better.

I keep the action pretty low (about 2 mm at the 12th fret) and usually there's no fretbuzz to talk about, but if I tune down the bass for a song there will be some since the action will be lower. Usually I don't mind this because a downtuned sound is darker and meaner and some fretbuzz just enhances this aspect.

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    noooo!!

18. Oratorio

Oratorio

May 9, 2007
    Norway
    I really, really, REALLT try my best to avoid. Especially when I'm going for a more up-tempo eight-note groove. I understand how it can be cool, but through my J-bass, I just might as well try not to do it.

19. 0--+LoveBass

0--+LoveBass

May 11, 2007
    Ithaca Ny
    My main bass has its action really low and the neck is extremely bendy. Therfore I get a tone of buzz. If you play light it doesnt happen. So I use it to my advantage to help me relax adn play light.

20. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I know exactly what you mean about playing the bass with higher action in a studio setting. That's the reason I have seven basses. For the most part each one is set up for different situations. I keep my Ibanez SR500 set up with relatively high action with little to zero fretbuzz for recording purposes, plus it's a very versatile bass. Some songs just sound right with fretbuzz going on especially if you are hitting some big wide open whole notes in a mellow song. In any other situation give me the "buzz!"