1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretbuzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ExD, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ExD

ExD

Mar 8, 2007
    Australia
    I recently bought an beginner level Ibanez Soundgear bass and I seem to be getting a little fretbuzz from the first few frets. When I first got it, the action was really low and the first few frets were unplayable, everytime you played something there, the string would just rattle. I adjusted the action until there was no more buzz and now there isn't - UNLESS I play hard. And sometimes I like to really beat up my strings, and that results in buzz, only on the first couple of frets though. And, playing chords doesn't work out either, it buzzes when I play chords. Halp D:

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1, although Is it new or used? and if it is used, do the first few frets show any visibility of wear?

3. ExD

ExD

Mar 8, 2007
    Australia
    it's new, and the neck doesn't seem to be warped or anything

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Buzzing down low sounds like you have too little relief in the neck. Read the recommended links. What you will find is the following order:

1) Adjust relief first (I personally shoot for 0.015" at the 9th with 1st and last fretted as a starting point). I measure with feeler gauges. If you get thru step 2 and things are not great. Try 0.010" or 0.020". Less relief for buzzing in the higher frets only. More relief for buzzing in the lower frets only. If the whole string buzzes, it is a saddle height issue.

2) Adjust saddle height. I like the Sadowsky article on setups of the Rich and famous. Using his articale and measurments I go for medium to high depending on gauge of strings. If I get buzzing I adjust individuals saddles to compensate. I use a set of calipers to make these measurements. Lighter gauge strings need higher action.

3) Adjust pickup height per the Fender specs as a starting poing. I use calipers for this.

4) Adjust intonation

You can get all the info you need on line. And once you learn how to do this, you will be able to adjust your own bass better than anyone looking to take your hard earned cash to do it for you.

Dave

5. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    +1. The Fender article also has some basic values to shoot for on saddle adjustement depending on fretboard radius. I find that it helps a lot if you don't have calipers and only a precise ruler.