Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretbuzz?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jsbassist, Apr 21, 2002.

1. I have a Peavy Forum 4 string bass. And I have been wanting to know for a while, why when I play I get a buzzing noise. I mean I'v pressed down whith all my fingers as hard as I could and I still get fret buzz. So its not me, I am playing it in the right spot, and everything. Is it my bass or what?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    How much force do you use with your plucking hand? If you attack the string too hard when you pluck the strings, that can also cause fret buzz. If this is the case, try a lighter touch with your plucking hand.

If the buzz still exists, it could be a setup problem with the bass. If so, the Setup fourm has many threads on fret buzz.

Hope this helps.

3. mine does the same thing, and i dont think its a problem with the force of the pluck. (hehe that just struck me as funny...)
    i tried playing it lighter but it kept buzzing; it finally stopped making that rattling noise when i was just barely touching the strings (pressing down on the frets as hard as i could).
    i'll go check in with setup then.

4. Not really my thing, this, but it sounds like an either / or on strings too low and neck too straight.

Guys in the setup forum will help much more than I, no doubt.

John