Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freted or Fretless? Four, Five, or Six strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by action510, Dec 10, 2002.

1. ive been playing bass for a while and im starting to finally get proficient at slapping. Im about to upgrade to Standard Fender Five string Jazz Bass. Is this a good guitar or should i choose something different for a good slapping sound? Also, what is the difference between fretles and fretted? One more- is having that fifth or maybe a sixth string worth the money?:confused:

2. when i said fretless and fretted, i didnt mean the obvios difference ("one has frets and one douesnt stupid") i was thinking soundwise

3. thanks for the thing about the search i didnt even know there was one

but if anyone could recomend a good five or six in maybe the 500 price range thats what i need

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    1) lower line MTD's

2) If you are into slapping, fretless may not be your thing. Not undo-able, but not what I beleive it excels at.

5. AcoustisBass

You are a visionary. That is what I am getting!

Matthew

6. I would say fretless isn't really for slapping. Fretless gives you a more classic sound (depending on pickups and electronics) than a fretted. The term "mwah" comes to mind because that's the key sound you can get out of it versus on a fretted bass.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Fretless is universal, i.e. you can play any style. Slapping does take some more practice on a fretless, but sounds awesome, once mastered! (presonally, I haven't mastered it....yet)

The low B is mandatory in my way of playing. Many times I miss a lower string than that...

Your mileage will vary.