Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freted vs. Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grunge, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Fretted one, of course

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Fretless, of course

28 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. I wouldn't play the bass anymore

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Go, kill my-self

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. my coolio, custom-made doubleneck fretted/fretless

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Grunge

Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    Brazil
    I know that many of you have both but if you had to choose between them today?????Which one would you pick up????

2. Since the mid '90s I've only played fretless. Can't really say why, but that's the way it is.

I do mostly church music and the blues... my favorite artist is Tom Waits... maybe that explains it! :D

3. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I love the sound of fretless basses, but if i had to choose, give me frets!give me frets!

4. Fretless if I had to choose. I can get the same note definition as if I had frets, but there are just things you can not do on a fretted bass that you can on fretless.

Hey Jon, Tom Waits is a fav of mine as well! I love the two new ones but especially Blood Money.

~Ad

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Fretless

Doc

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'd have to cast my vote on fretless also. There is quite a noticable difference in playability and tone to me. -Luke

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    fretless, because I need to practice my intonation.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Me no need speed bumps!

:D

9. Depends. I personally think I need both. Just to sit down and jam for a bit, I love workin g on the fretless. Now, if I want to play some in a band with my buddies, my fretless just doesn't work as well in most cases. All in all, if I had to have just one, I think I might go for the fretted.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think I would have to say fretless. I think frets would look silly on my Englehardt.

Chas

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Fretless.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    As much as I LOVE playing fretless... if you had to take one of my basses away from me, I'd say take the Carvin. What I do most in music nowadays is writing and playing with my band, and so far the fretless hasn't found a place in it. It's just there for my own personal practices.

But damn, it's fun to play. If I only sucked a little less...

13. Of course I would prefer to play both, but If I had to choose one, I'd say you can't beat the sound of a really nice fretless. I still have to get one of those. My fretless Gibson Victory Standard, (athough it has a nice warm sound) just doesn't have the mwah I need.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Can't/won't choose. Need both.

15. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I played nothing but fretless from around '72 until '98, though I seldom set up my fretless for low action mwah. As a double bassist first, I just felt more comfortable with a fretless neck. I have recordings of my rock trio from the 70's, and you can't tell the bass is a fretless bass.

While I've acquired, play, and enjoy fretted basses these days, in addition to fretless, if I had to make a choice it would undoubtedly be fretless.

16. Amen to that!

17. aqatc

aqatc

Jul 4, 2002
    USA, Milpitas, CA
    :confused: I've never owned or even seen a fretless bass, but I'd like to. Do they even have lines painted where the frets would be? Anyway, I think with fretless you couldn't play as exact, but you could play with more soul than being cloed in by frets. I also play trombone for band at my high school, so I understand why fretlesss better.

18. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Frets

Although I've been thinking about giving fretless another try... just can't decide on a 4 or 5 ... if I do.. it will be a MTD Kingston

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I see from the new option in the poll, John-boy's been around!

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep! And here's a pic of what I would be forced to own.;)

[​IMG]