FretFind2D got updated

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ardgedee, Aug 31, 2019.

1. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    The project's been revived with a new URL. The old site still works too.

New site does not require Flash to download files any more.

FretFind2D

ZSN624, StuStu, Freekmagnet and 3 others like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks for posting

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I've long since been mildly worried it would disappear, so a while back, I used it to make a whole bunch of PDFs with common sizes of fretboards, plus a bunch of weird things I figured I might one day build. :D Yes...I'm not well... :woot:

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    If this helps, here's my Excel spreadsheet that I use to do all my fret spacing calculations. I made it up back around 1994. It's a simple spreadsheet, columns of numbers. The middle column is the distance of that fret from the nut. The right column is the distance from the previous fret.

There are a bunch of Sheets (the tabs at the bottom) for a lot of different scale lengths that I've used over the years. You can easily make up a new one of some other scale length by copying one of the sheets, then typing in the scale length you want up in the cell at the top, where the number of the Scale is. The sheet will then calculate the columns.

Attached Files:

5. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    What is the purpose of column "E"?

6. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Distance from the nut.

7. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Thanks, it looks useful! (If I ever build a bass, anyway :oops:) FretFind generates a vector files of the fingerboard dimensions and string placements from nut to bridge, which makes it easier to sketch a bass around and experiment with pickup positions. When it comes to actually working on wood though, your xls file is a lot more readable for fret spacing.

8. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I don't think so. Column E starts on line 11 for fret 8. The 8th fret isn't 0.000 from the nut. I am referring to the 34" tab.

9. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Ah. I was looking at the "Bass scale lengths" tab.

At a guess, the 8th fret is roughly the center of a 22 fret fretboard, maybe it has something to do with that? @Bruce Johnson ?

10. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Oh, sorry, I should have erased that. I just copied the whole file as I use it.

That third column, which begins with "0" at the eighth fret is used when I'm machining up a scale ruler, to be used with a fret slotting saw. My largest milling machine doesn't have enough X axis travel to do the whole scale in one shot. So, I mill the first 8 slots from the chart, then shift the holding fixture down, re-zero it at the 8th, then use the numbers from the third column to locate the rest of the slots.

Here's an old thread showing me machining up a scale ruler, if you are curious:
    Stew Mac vs LMII fret slot templates

rwkeating likes this.
  11. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, the FretFind program gets into creating a partial CAD layout. To make it easier for a beginner, which is great.

My spreadsheet just generates a chart of numbers of fret spacings. I use it with a CAD program when I'm laying out a new instrument. In some cases I've entered the chart of numbers and drawn a Scale Ruler in CAD, then saved it as a Block to use as a reference.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021