Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Freting a sloted neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassist4christ, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Can someone explain to me how to put frets in a neck. I got fenders pre cut fretwire, asnd should be getting a sloted neck, what else do I need. Thank you

2. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Do I need to put glue on the wires before I install them?

3. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    If you have a drill press get the arbor from stew mac. you shouldnt have to glue them usually we do that on a refret job to make sure they stay in. good luck
    happy hannuka
    bagio

4. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    Take it to a luthier and you will save yourself lots of problems and lots of money. Because the tools that you need to do a fret job, fret level and set up will cost you more than the luthier's labor. From what I read on your posting, if I were you I would not take a chance to start doing a fret job because you need lots of knowledge and pratice

5. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    do yourself a favor get a book and do it yourself its not that hard, goto lmii.com and get a cheap board to practice on if you want. Iam nbot sure the problems youll have pressing a piece of wire into a slot of your using an arbor.