1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Freting a sloted neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassist4christ, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Can someone explain to me how to put frets in a neck. I got fenders pre cut fretwire, asnd should be getting a sloted neck, what else do I need. Thank you

2. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Do I need to put glue on the wires before I install them?

3. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    If you have a drill press get the arbor from stew mac. you shouldnt have to glue them usually we do that on a refret job to make sure they stay in. good luck
    happy hannuka
    bagio

4. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    Take it to a luthier and you will save yourself lots of problems and lots of money. Because the tools that you need to do a fret job, fret level and set up will cost you more than the luthier's labor. From what I read on your posting, if I were you I would not take a chance to start doing a fret job because you need lots of knowledge and pratice

5. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    do yourself a favor get a book and do it yourself its not that hard, goto lmii.com and get a cheap board to practice on if you want. Iam nbot sure the problems youll have pressing a piece of wire into a slot of your using an arbor.