1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless 3.0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmy rocket, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I don't know why I ever try anything other than my tried and true jazz bass, but I'm about to take my third venture down fretless avenue and I thought I'd introduce my travelling companion...

6638689659_f8142b6d05_z.

6638690263_882e46ee63_z.

My two previous attempts on fretless were with an SX fretless P bass that was informative, but ultimately not anywhere close to my style, and on a defretted Ibanez sr500 that I still regret selling. I nearly bought a Squier VM fretless a few months ago, but I thought I'd try something a little different.

The Neck is Mighty Mite, with my own logo

6638690807_b65071a8f0_z.

I had the logo made up for tele / jazzmaster hybrid guitar and had a few left over. Since they share the jag/jazzmaster body shape it made sense to me.

I'm still waiting on a string retainer, but some Hipshot tuners and a Squier VM Jaguar Body round out the project pretty nicely.

I went with no lines because on my previous two attempts I followed the lines pretty hard and I want to learn to lean on my ears a little more. I've got it strung with some old chromes which sound pretty good, but I'm not set on that sound just yet.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my latest project.

2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Lookin' good man! :cool: :bassist:

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    thanks, now I just have to earn it!

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Totally dig it. I'll take a PM if you get tired of it.