Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless 4: Jaco vs. Modulus VJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Price not necessarily a factor, I wonder if a Jaco fretless (not the Relic) would be as good or better for me than the Modulus VJ4 I have on hold. I like blank boards better, but hey, I could hide the fretlines on the Jaco if I really wanted or needed to.

Discuss =0)

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    id go with the modulus. i really like the feel of the carbon fiber necks. if you haven't tried one already, you should definitely do so before making your decision.

3. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    oh i KNOW modulus necks are the bomb - still kicking myself for selling my Q6 but I'm saving to buy another! I do think though that - to me, personally - neck stability and death-valley-low action are more important on fretted than fretless. So thats why I'm considering the Fender (though normally Fender is a 4-letter word, to me)

4. I'd go for the Jaco bass. Is this the one that is coated with marine grade epoxy(fingerboard)?

(Speaking of the relic basses, I do not see the "fretless option" on fender's websight. I was wondering how much a MIA 60s Jazz Bass was- the one with the vintage P/Us and unlined fretless.)

5. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, the Jaco board is coated with polyester (so it won't wrinkle, of course).

I changed my order from the Modulus to the Jaco, actually. I have a bright and modern 4 in my Fodera, and will soon enough have a Modulus 6 again, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it out. Plus, it's already used so I wont take the depreciation hit that I usually do.

=0)

6. I would say, you seem to have the modern sound down, go for the old school fretless vibe.

It's a damn purty bass too.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Dave,

I've owned the Fender Jaco fretless as well as a Modulus VJ composite fretted. I can tell you my experience with them tomorrow. In short, I got rid of the Fender after both the stock neck and a replacement (that took two months to arrive) went bad in a matter of months.

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Thats quite weird, I've had my Jaco for about 2 years or so now (probably more), I used to play it as my main bass for about 5-6months, and I leave it out around the house on a stand... and nothing really bad's ever happened to my neck, maybe you're just unlucky?

9. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I own the Jaco bass and couldn't be happier with it. With the proper technique, it nails the Jaco sound.

10. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, it's on its way (Jaco).... so we'll see - If I don't like it I can always pass it on.

Dr. P's experience is a valid complaint and Fender's warranty work in that regard was also inconceivably bad. Fingers crossed it was simply a QC issue.

I'll know Friday though!

11. It is funny. My Zon fretless nails that J tone. I think it may be that I asked Zon to make it totally passive. I love passive basses and this one is awesome!

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Thanks again, Dave. Keep me posted on the Jaco fretless!

13. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Definitely will, Doc.

Thanks for your opinions everybody - While I'd like to attribute the decision all to the tone, saving myself $900 by getting the used Jaco over the new VJ4 was a part as well. Plus, I still have wiggle room to drop a J-retro in, if everything's good but I don't like the tone for whatever reason. (Note: I'm not even a big Jaco fan, though I like some of his work this isn't an attempt at idol-mimicing in the least - just wanted a solid fretless jazz-style since I can't get on with my fretless 5 too well, and this one popped up)

14. Cool, enjoy. I am a big fan of the good ole Jazz