Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless 4 or 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmInEnT_BaSsIsT, Mar 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality fretless 4 or 5 string for under $600?
    Oh yeah...... What effect, if any, would flat wound strings have on a fretted bass? Any suggestions on brands for a 6 string?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Cort Curbow fretless basses have been getting pretty good mention around here... They're in that price neighborhood...

Flatwounds on a fretted bass... Hey! That's my sound!!! Not as bright sounding as roundwounds, less finger-noise... Punchy, with plenty of fundamental. Much of this depends on the brand of string, of course

Welcome to Talkbass,

-robert

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm still on my first set of flats... and I love them.
    I'm using GHS brite flats.
    They're actual round wound strings that are ground down to flats, so they still get some highs to them.

They're kind of difficult to find, but I love them.

It has the same affect on a fretted bass as it does on a fretless except that it's a better idea to play a fretless with flats because it won't damage the fretboard as much as roundwounds.

hope that helps, later.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cort Artisan B4FL or B5FL, both less than $500.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, I was going to suggest that! From *YOUR* experience :D:D:D

And for strings, flats or "groundwounds" make interesting sounds. I like them, but I'd really like to find a string with elliptic outer wound. Should make perfection - in theory.

6. I have used two brands on fretless. Thomastik Infeld jazz flats have amazing power and punch, but LaBella black nylon tapewounds seem to have more life...more zip and go. I prefer the TIs on fretted basses.

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Cort Curbow definetely. I've played a couple and I really like them. With fretless it would be better to use flatwounds, because roundwounds would chew up the fingerboard too much.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Unless its rosewood without a hard coat on the board, you won't have to worry about wear TOO much, depending on the string you use. If you use a good quality nickel, there will be little to no wear. If you use bright Rotosound steels, there might be a little more damage, generally.

But, it'll be nearly negligable with whatever board if you use a light touch.

9. I bought a Curbow 5 fretless and couldn't beat the price for how it plays and sounds. I picked one up at Mars for under $400.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Angus, that should probably go in an FAQ somewhere. So many think wear is a problem with rounds when it simply does not have to be.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I agree! Though im sure you could say it better than i could! Maybe we should put it in the "Bass Forum Rules" section! :D

To the poster, even though its been a little while, check out the Carvins on Ebay. There are some great deals there!

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Does anyone know how easily Curbow's ebonol fretboard is chewed by strings?

Wonder if you could use nickel rounds with one since can you coat it when it's syntethic?

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It doesnt get CHEWED at all, but you will notice where you have put your fingers, because Ebonol tends to leave white lines...

Also, I believe that the best is a 5 String Tuned EADGC, it is great and allows for very nice mwah soloing.
    That is because there is no Cort Curbow 6 String Fretless.
    The Aria Pro II SB Fretless is a very good choice too.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Carvin't B4 is under $600, if memory serves.

Will C.:cool:

15. i use rotosound flatwounds but they have a plastic layer around them and they are very cool. i always use them, rounds are just too clicky for me.

theres my 2 cents

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If your saying that a roundwound string after it wears down is still good... that's just idiotic. Strings are supposed to be replaced once they wear down, because they don't vibrate evenly.

If not, I apologize for the post. :p

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Please learn to read!!!
    He was talking about FRETBOARD WEAR caused by ROUNDWOUND STRING being used on FRETLESS BASSES!!!

Did you know that rosewood is chewed up by roundwounds on a fretless? Specially if those are made of steel. Nickel does not chew it up so much.

That is the meaning of the whole thread.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sometimes...no matter what you say... ;)

And even if that was what I was saying, you think you might have a slightly more diplomatic way of telling me...not that calling it "idiotic" doesn't make your point...both ways :D

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Blood from a turnip Brad, blood from a turnip... :D

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Take your own advice: "Learn to read".
    The topic is actually "Fretless 4 or 5".

Therefore, YOU'RE off topic. Not me. :D

Another thing, I actually said "If not, sorry."
    Because I couldn't find the entire post. No shut up. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.