Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless 4-string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by my name is mud, Nov 22, 2004.

1. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    Would a fretless four string bass sound any good? I was just reading some defretting help files and was thinking about removing mine. Ive been playing for like a year now so I think I could handle a fretless. If I were to do it though I would leave markers where the frets were just incase. So whats all your opions on this?

2. depends on who is playing the bass :bassist:

I removed my washburns frets and it has a really mwahness to it

3. Tone is in the hands.

Anyone can have a fretless but whether it's appropriate to your situation is something only you can decide. And unless I were a decent musician on another tonal instrument, I would never consider going fretless after only a year of the bass. There's so much to learn from a music standpoint that having the extra burden of maintaining intonation is unecessary at this point. You should also try out a fretless or two and see if you really can "handle" such a beast. You might find it different than you imagine.

Good Luck

4. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i myself got into playing fretless but at the time i owned two basses. a good fretted bass and a fretless. if your going two own one bass and you new to playing, stick with a fretted, save and then look into buying a used fretless. if you jump both boots into the fretless world and that all you have, you will wish you had kept those frets on that bass . with one year under my belt, i would wait a nd just fret it. (pun intended)

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No, a fretless four string is an obsurd and horrible idea. Who would do such a thing? It would sound horrible.

Just kidding. Fretless basses are nice, but if you only have one bass, don't remove the frets. You might want them back, and that costs money. Get a secondary el-cheapo and rip the frets off that. When you defret, you really can't not leave markers, unless you fill the slots in with rosewood filler or something. But, go for it.. Just don't mess up ;)

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    First, go to a music store and try one yourself. many excellent bassists are 100% fretted guys. There si no shame if you don't like it.

If you do like it, consider if it's fits with the style of music you play. Frtelesses don;t work with certain styles.

Listen to fretless players to get an idea what fretless players are doing.

I get the idea you just have one bass and want to go permanently fretless. That's a big jump. Consider buying an inexpensive fretless. I have a MIM Fender Jazz that I say "si" to !