1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless 5 String: Ibanez SR or Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Hi TBers,

For a few weeks I was setlled on an Ibanez SR375F: Ibanez SR375F - Brown Burst, Fretless | Sweetwater.com

However, I prefer passive basses so I was going to replace the pickups and make it passive with a few options (HPF pot, LPF capacitor 3-way switch, LPF pot), coat the fingerboard and put rounds on it.

Then I started thinking of my next bass (due to TB induced GAS), and decided it will be a fretless 5 string Fender P Bass with a raw unlined rosewood board with a Jazz-style neck (made by Warmoth) and strung with flats for more of an old school vibe.

It hit me that maybe a 5 string Fender Jazz (likely a Squier VM Jazz V), defretted, epoxied, and strung with rounds may be a bit better so both instruments have a similar feel and style.

I really do prefer the thin Ibanez
    SR necks, 24 frets (though I don't play much higher than the 17th fret on a fretless), and light-weight SR bodies. I also prefer the extra strength of multi-laminated necks with stiffening rods...

I know I can sand down the Jazz neck if I feel it's needed, but then I'm worried it will become weaker and more susceptible to shrinkage/expansion due to climate changes. Also, I really, really don't like the weight of Fender basses... Almost any 6 string SR I've picked up has been significantly lighter than any Fender 4 string I've picked up afterwards. These two preferences of mine are pushing me back into the Ibanez SR camp, but I'd like to throw it out there and see what your opinions/thoughts are.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that both fretlesses (SR/Jazz and future P Bass) will be 5 strings tuned to D-G-C-F-A#. Also, I prefer 16.5mm spacing on fivers, so a Hipshot A bridge will be used to accomplish this on the Fender bass(es).

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    You might check out the Ibanez GWB35 - about $400 used, and already set up to do what you want.

3. Thanks. Unfortunately, I'd really prefer two pickups for this bass, but it would be a solid choice otherwise.