Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless 5 string ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armidex, May 25, 2001.

1. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    I'm actually looking for a fretless 5 string (dur) :rolleyes:
    I recently played a fretted 5 string and then a 4 string fretless and i thought a 5 string fretless would be nice hehe

Well any insights or anything would be nice, Oh btw im in Australia if that makes any difference at all

Thanks
    Rog

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    How long is a piece of string?

You will probably get a load of answers with everyone pushing their own favourite.

My advice is to work out your budget, then look for basses within that budget. If you find nothing suitable (more later) then start saving. Re suitable-each of us has different requirements concerning pickup types and number, active and/or passive electrics and just about everything else.

If you want some constructive advice on a fretless five then I suggest you do the above excercise and construct a shortlist. Come back here with the short list for experieinces on reliability customer service etc and any serious omissions (with in the price range).

In the end you want a bass you like and not what some self opinionated Brit or Yank told you (Im a self opinionated Brit pleased to meet you).

happy hunting

3. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    I talked to merlin about it a while ago about a certain yamaha fretless i tried at the music store for 2 hrs hehe

i liked it but i would rather prefer a 5 stringer,

So far i read up on several ones.. well maybe like one really

Ummm... Carvin LB75 F

Supposedly it plays really well, construction etc are tops but i heard that customer service really blows. I 'll prolly not get it till after the end of the year after HSC exams =) well if i do well in them anyway hehe

Maybe a Washburn of some description

active soapbar pups would be nice also

Thanks again

Rog

4. How much money are you looking to spend? If you only want to spend around $800 or so AUS, then I could recommend the Cort Curbow Signature 5 Fretless. I played my friends on a couple of gig occasions and it is pretty nice. also has active pickups. If you are wanting to spend more, I have absolutely no Idea what you should try :)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a pair to draw to. Pedulla ThunderBolt 5 fretless, amber-burst AAA flame top, Bartolini TBT electronics, rosewood board, and, of course, gold hardware. Then you got your Lakland 55-94 Deluxe fretless, Bartolini NTMB electronics, teal quilt top, ebony board, and, you guessed it, gold hardware. If you like easy bark, growl and mwah, get the Pedulla. For wider range of tones and coaxable bark and mwah, the Lakland is your choice. These aren't for sale, but if you have a ton of patience, and even more money, you can order 'em up to your specs.

[​IMG]

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tony Levin seems to get a really nice sound out of a Stingray Fretless 5. The Warwick fretless Thumbs aren't too bad, either, if you can get used to the slightly unusual body shape.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    WELLLLLLLLL.....

I'm just a wee bit prejudiced, now that I've gotten yet ANOTHER new fretless 5. I traded my Bogart (see the worst headstock design thread) straight up for a Zon Sonus Special Fretless 5. WOW, what a great tone! :D And plays itself! Oh yeah, it's beautiful too...

Admittedly, it's not the most economical choice....heh....

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    aonther aussie, were a very few on here.
    if you dont have much money check out Jordin basses and aria basses
    www.ariausa.com
    jordin has no site as yet, its new and they play excellent, ive got one.
    all prices are in australian dollars too.
    later
    Luke
    PS im in QLD where r u?

9. Hey

I'm an aussie too. I'm at the Gold Coast and I'm also interested in a 5 string fretless (damn they're expensive if you can find them). I played a fretted Gary Willis bass in Melbourne recently and it was one of the nicest basses I've ever played (although definately not for slappers). I assume that the fretless version would be nice too (but again not too economical). Well I gotta fly, C-ya and keep groovin'.

Ben

10. Hi, Ashton and BenHack. I'm not an Aussie, but your next door neighbour over the ditch in Auckland, New Zealand.
    The nicest fretless 5 I ever played was a Pedulla, same as the one above except for the colour.

11. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    we need all the aussie, kiwi and tazzi ppl to reply, there aint many of us. anyway, im gonna convert my stratocastor copy(lead-forgive me) into a 5 string, its not that hard and its cheap and you get a feeling of accomplishment. also ive only been playing for 2 years and get about $100-$200 every fortnight, i have got 5 guitars-buying another tomorrow!!!! all up i have got $2300 worth of bass on my hands. when i get the new Jordin ill give ya all some pics. and im thinkin of a name for her, help me on this Jas or Alex. dont ask my why i picked those names its a looooooooong story but one day i might tell it.
    later
    Luke-rockhampton QLD

12. The Ibanez Gary Willis is a very nice fretless 5. The one I played felt great and sounded awesome. The other fretless 5 I really like is the Godin A5. It has an incredible woody tone that is full and rich without being at all muddy. Check out these two if you get a chance.

13. Hi everybody, this is my first time posting here.

I recently acquired a Pedulla Pentabuzz MVP bass which is the nicest sounding five string fretless I have ever played. It has a Bartonlini preamp, with bridge and P-bass pickups. It sounds sooooo sweet.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Gard! You have been assimilated!

So, how do you like the Zon? How does it compare to the Bogart, and your custom made 'babies'?

Got any pix?:D