fretless 5's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Oct 19, 2003.

1. i used to have a fretless 4 string, which i sold because i'm absolutely potty about 5 strings and couldn't get on with the 4. i was gonna use the money to get the 5, but then my amp died and i had to spend the money on that. but now i've got some money again, and i'm gonna finally get the 5 string. trouble is, i know i wont use it often enough to warrent spending more that £500 ($800)on it, and that seriosly limits my options (especially in the UK).

so far the only 2 i've found are:
    MTD kingston 5. looks great, good reviews, JUST within my budget.
    Aria something or other, half the price of the MTD.

anyone know of any other options in the price range (there's very occasionaly a fretless 5 on ebay, but there's so few that the demand for them is quite high, and the price soon goes up)

thanks for any help

2. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I've had very good luck with my Carvin fretless five - Ebony fretboard, active electronics. I bought it on Ebay for about $500. That's about what they go for give or take $75.
  3. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I'm sure people here are sick of reading this BUT check into Schecter and see about getting the Stiletto Studio 5. Excellent bass and it's amazingly cheap. While I haven't checked, I'm sure there are Schecter dealers somewhere in the UK. Their website has a locator list on it and that will tell you where to go.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Lakland Skyline 5502.
    Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn
    Musicman Stingray-5
    Warwick Thumb bolt on fretless 5
  5. you should consider buying one used. I don't know if there are many shops in your area that deal in much used stuff, but check online for sale adds and the UK ebay. search around and you should be able to find a good deal on something nice.
  6. i did a quick search and couldn't find anything in the UK, but i'll continue to look into it

all way out of my price range

as i already said about ebay, the few fretless 5's that show up are like gold, and most go for almost retail, and in a few cases i've seen it go for more! i've never seen a fretless 5 in any UK classifieds, ever.

i think the kingston 5 is probably gonna be the one to get my money, i almost bought the fretted 5 a while ago, and i've gassed for one since, and i think the fretless would cure that ;)

7. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    according to their website, they're supposed to introduce a fretless kingston heir. although that has been on there for quite some time, so i'm not sure if i'd hold my breath waiting for it. however, the kingston is a great bass for the buck...

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know if you can get Dean basses over there in the hinterlands of Wales, but if you can, check them out. I have a fretless 5 string Edge and I really love it. It looks and sounds fantastic. Search for Dean threads here and you'll find me raving about it over and over, and a pic.