Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless 6 string P-bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 4, 2000.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I want a six string fretless bass really bad. However, I prefer the sound of the P-bass pickup configuration. I have a yamaha fretless 4 string with split P's and I prefer the tone over the nasaly sound of a fretless with jazz pickups. I noticed that bartolini makes a split P pickup for 6 string basses but I have never seen a 6 string P bass before. Does anyone know of a six string fretless p bass? If so, who are the manufacturers and do they have an affordable model, say in the carvin price range(around $800? If not, does anyone know of a pickup configuration that sounds close to a P-bass configuration?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lane poor makes 3 different kinds of pickups in the same size package, and one of them sounds _exactly_ like a pbass. most of my 7 string basses have lane poor soapbars in them, with the neck position being the p-bass style and the bridge being a j-bass style, but both look the same, in the same size package.

i don't know of any basses in your price range, however, that use lane poor pickups in that config. you could always get a bass that you like the tone/feel of, and then refit the pickups with either lanes or barts - think bill bartolinni has a pickup that sounds like a p-bass but is built in the soapbar package.

good luck.

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I think I am going to get the carvin 6 string fretless since it is the only one I can afford. They have an option to put stacked humbuckers in the jazz pickup slots. The neck pickup should be closer to the p sound. Also, if I am still not satisfied, I read that Bartolini makes a split p pickup that fits in the jazz slot called a 9J. Has anyone tried these out? do they sound good? Finally, if all else fails, I might just get a pair of EMG DC's. However, i know I will have to cut more wood out of the bass to install them. Would this ruin the sound? I'm not sure I want to risk it. Has anyone had good luck cutting more wood out of a bass to install larger pickups?

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I am a big Carvin fan. But I have to tell you that the stacked humbucker they offer -- the H50N -- sounds far more like a J than a P. In fact, in a Bass Player mag "shootout" a few years ago, it got OK marks for sounding like an authentic J!

The fact that there are two coils in a pickup isn't what makes it sound like a P. It's the string sample width -- the amount of string directly over the pickup -- that changes tha "fatness" of the tone. A narrow sample width, like a J, will give you a more focused, brighter sound. The wider profile of a P pickup is what is giving you the P sound.

Carvin is a custom shop, and they may do a special pickup rout for you, but you'd have to call 'em.

To get exactly what you want you may have to go to Warmoth. I know for a fact that they will cut whatever pickup routs you can imagine.

All that being said, unless you truly detest the sound of a J bass, I think you would really like a Carvin. In fact, it was economics for me, too, that led me to my LB76F, and I wound up loving it the moment I opened the case.

5. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Thanks for the info on the carvin bass. I tried a few different basses with jazz pickups and I realized that the tone I'm not happy with is when only the bridge pickup is on. The neck pickup by itself to me sounds close to a p since it is placed near where a p bass pickup is placed. The middle position has a good slap sound. Even though I wont be able to get the p bass tone out of it, I think I'll make the compromise and go with the carvin.

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Doesn't Steve Bailey play a 6-string fretless Fender P?

7. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    Isn't that a J?

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I think you're right, actually... Oops :)

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

10. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    My Carvin LB75F (5 string fretless) is the best playing bass I have.

11. [jealous]