fretless 6 string P-bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 4, 2000.

1. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I want a six string fretless bass really bad. However, I prefer the sound of the P-bass pickup configuration. I have a yamaha fretless 4 string with split P's and I prefer the tone over the nasaly sound of a fretless with jazz pickups. I noticed that bartolini makes a split P pickup for 6 string basses but I have never seen a 6 string P bass before. Does anyone know of a six string fretless p bass? If so, who are the manufacturers and do they have an affordable model, say in the carvin price range(around $800? If not, does anyone know of a pickup configuration that sounds close to a P-bass configuration?
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lane poor makes 3 different kinds of pickups in the same size package, and one of them sounds _exactly_ like a pbass. most of my 7 string basses have lane poor soapbars in them, with the neck position being the p-bass style and the bridge being a j-bass style, but both look the same, in the same size package.

i don't know of any basses in your price range, however, that use lane poor pickups in that config. you could always get a bass that you like the tone/feel of, and then refit the pickups with either lanes or barts - think bill bartolinni has a pickup that sounds like a p-bass but is built in the soapbar package.

good luck.

3. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I think I am going to get the carvin 6 string fretless since it is the only one I can afford. They have an option to put stacked humbuckers in the jazz pickup slots. The neck pickup should be closer to the p sound. Also, if I am still not satisfied, I read that Bartolini makes a split p pickup that fits in the jazz slot called a 9J. Has anyone tried these out? do they sound good? Finally, if all else fails, I might just get a pair of EMG DC's. However, i know I will have to cut more wood out of the bass to install them. Would this ruin the sound? I'm not sure I want to risk it. Has anyone had good luck cutting more wood out of a bass to install larger pickups?
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I am a big Carvin fan. But I have to tell you that the stacked humbucker they offer -- the H50N -- sounds far more like a J than a P. In fact, in a Bass Player mag "shootout" a few years ago, it got OK marks for sounding like an authentic J!

The fact that there are two coils in a pickup isn't what makes it sound like a P. It's the string sample width -- the amount of string directly over the pickup -- that changes tha "fatness" of the tone. A narrow sample width, like a J, will give you a more focused, brighter sound. The wider profile of a P pickup is what is giving you the P sound.

Carvin is a custom shop, and they may do a special pickup rout for you, but you'd have to call 'em.

To get exactly what you want you may have to go to Warmoth. I know for a fact that they will cut whatever pickup routs you can imagine.

All that being said, unless you truly detest the sound of a J bass, I think you would really like a Carvin. In fact, it was economics for me, too, that led me to my LB76F, and I wound up loving it the moment I opened the case.

5. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Thanks for the info on the carvin bass. I tried a few different basses with jazz pickups and I realized that the tone I'm not happy with is when only the bridge pickup is on. The neck pickup by itself to me sounds close to a p since it is placed near where a p bass pickup is placed. The middle position has a good slap sound. Even though I wont be able to get the p bass tone out of it, I think I'll make the compromise and go with the carvin.
  6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Doesn't Steve Bailey play a 6-string fretless Fender P?
  7. bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Isn't that a J?
  8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I think you're right, actually... Oops :)

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  10. Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    My Carvin LB75F (5 string fretless) is the best playing bass I have.

11. [jealous]