Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless 6 String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by timmmm, Jun 17, 2004.

1. timmmm

timmmm

Jun 9, 2004
    I just got my new fretless 6 string. i wanted to change the strings next paycheck, ive had some problems finding flat 6 string sets. What are most people using for 6 string fretless? I think if i have to Ill go with the nylon wraps, but Im sure there is a better option out there. Im not too picky about the strings I put on it at this point. Id just like to know what is available so i can try em. The brice comes with flats on now, but they arent very smooth at all, in fact they are roughing up my fingers much worse then my nickel rounds on my pbass.

thanks in advance.
    Tim

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I would recommend Elixirs, that's what I use on my fretless and they both feel and sound lovely. And they sound fresh almost forever.

3. timmmm

timmmm

Jun 9, 2004
    you use the nanoweb coated strings?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got SIT PowerFlats on my fretless 6

:bassist: great strings! I just ordered a set to put back on my fretted 5. At that point, they will be on every bass I own :D

5. timmmm

timmmm

Jun 9, 2004
    cool. I found D'Addario halfwounds on the internet in 6 string for 33.57 at juststrings.com. I emailed them asking about selling/making a 6 string set. For what its worth Ill post the outcome.

6. timmmm

timmmm

Jun 9, 2004
    I got the halfwounds on. They are pretty bright, suprisingly. I guess they are the best of both worlds. I miss the dull thud of the flats though. The top 2 original equiped strings sounded so funny, and that sound has since gone away. These strings are super smooth and very ? "playable" i guess is how i would put it. Ive been practicing like crazy for jazz auditions, and i can do a few hours before my fingers are really raw. Silly comparison i know, but i was sore shortly after starting with the original flats on the brice. They were fairly sharp inbetween the windings.

I hope this helps someone!

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    A lot of people like the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. I have 'em on my fretless ABG. They're pricy, though--near $60 for a 6-string set. They do last a loooooong time, however.