Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless 6 Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassNoob?, Jan 23, 2006.

1. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I have been gassing over any fretless 6 string basses for a long time now. The first one I played was a Warwick 'vette. It was the nicest thing I have ever played.

Also, is there any place that sells them? One popped up here about a month ago. It was a Warwick Corvette fretless 6. Went for $950. I only had $600 at the time. I've been snooping around looking for them for a long time, but I havn't found one. I am willing to play up to $1500 USD.

To help my gas, post a few pictures of your fretless 6s!

2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    You mean this piece of poon?

[​IMG]

Yeah, Jackie Brown, she was good to me.

Brice basses (of www.rondomusic.net fame) have a fairly good reputation around here. They make a fretless 6 that's gotten some good reviews.

Ahhh, the dark and scary world that is Fretless 6...

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Check your PM

[​IMG]

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

This baby is in my hands now, I do like it much! good luck with your fretless search:cool:

5. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Is there anything you don't like about it? This thread will be the start of my search. :hyper:

And when I go to the Rondo site, they don't have the fretless 6's there anymore. When I click on and old like and go to the checkout, the bass just dissappears from my shopping cart. Do they still make them?

6. email Rondo, they may be getting more in.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Direct from the New Brice thread.....

[​IMG]

A picture of my old Brice. It has LaBella Nylon Tapewound strings on it now, looks a lot slicker than the Carvin flats.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wanna get scared? Try playing chords on a fretless six. Tough to intone but well worth the effort!

9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Their inventory changes from week to week. Rondo is a small local Union NJ music store, not a massive warehouse like Musician's Friend. If you're anywhere near Union, NJ, I recommend stopping by the store. You may be surprised what you find.

According to their site they have the Brice Prestige Z 6-String Bass in natural or Blue in Fretless for the fair price of $449.95. The pictures are of the fretted, but the order form says fretless and they are on the fretless page.

If they're dissapearing from the cart that's wierd. I'd call them, look up Rondo Music in Union NJ on yellowpages.com or something else like that, the phone number is not on the web site. Or email them or look at their Ebay store.

10. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Are they any good? Maybe if I added some EMG's or Barts??? But I don't know anything about that.

If I was to buy a Brice, what other things should I add onto it. Like pickups, bridge, etc. I heard somewhere that Rogue owns Brice?? Is this true?

And they are out of stock of the Prestige Z in natural. I'll give them a call.

And thank you everyone for the help so far.

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've got a Tobias Toby Pro 6 that I converted to fretless. It's been pretty cool and all, but for now my fretless 5 has been covering everything I need.

[​IMG]

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wouldn't change a thing on my Brice. Everything is adequate. It's probable that some Rogues are made in the same factory as some Brices. There was a model a couple years ago from each importer that both looked identical except the headstock shape and logo.

13. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Well said...

I tried
    I cried
    I traded for frets and an extra string:)

14. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    ^lol
    I'm thinking of just saving up and custom ordering a Warwick Corvette Fretless 6.

Or I might just get a fretless 4 string. I can't decide :rollno:

I want a fretless, a warwick, and a 6 string, so I thought I might just knock all 3 off my gas list in one bass. The Brice got some pretty icky reviews on Harmony Central, and I agree with what the people say there most of the time. They said it was not set up proparly, and one guy just got EMG's because the stock pickups where too loud. It just doesn't seem like a "top notch" bass to me. And, the one Warwick I played had the most amazing slap tone to it. Yes, I know its not good to slap on fretless, but I couldn't help the urge. How would I go about ordering a 'wick 6 fretless? Should I call up a dealer and see if they have any in a warehouse near me? Or could I just call Warwick directly??

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you care about playing and setup, virtually any bass you buy needs a setup the day you take it home no matter how good it is. It's unfair to say that it's a "fault" that it needs a setup. The active pickups on my V2 are "too loud", they overload the input preamp stage on some amps but there's this amazing new invention, that's already on the bass, it's called a VOLUME CONTROL. It takes care of that.

Nobody, even those of us who love our Brice basses would pretend to call them "top notch". They are adequate musical instruments, nothing more, nothing less. Comparing one to a Warwick is senseless and irrelevant. The thing the Brice is good for is for getting your feet wet at an entry level price point to see if you really even like a fretless 6. IMO it's completely adequate for my needs for the indefinite future.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with slapping on a fretless. Go to your local Warwick dealer for information on how to aquire one of their basses.

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've gotta agree with Phil here on several points .....

The need to set up a bass does not, in and of itself, make it a bad instrument. Really, just about every bass probably needs some type of adjustment to suit the individual player. Of course, if the bass can not be properly adjusted then it is a big problem. I've never seen a Brice that wasn't able to be properly set up.

You can not reasonably compare a $400 bass to a $1500 bass. The Brice is a decent playable bass, but it's not a Warwick.

My own little pet peeve are the reviews on Harmony Central. I generally feel they are emotionally driven and unqualified for the most part ..... the statement about Brice basses not being set up properly is a good example of that mentality. You would be far better off doing a search here at TB or over at the Pit .... at least there will be some qualified opinions along with the bass-bashing ...... :cool:

If you have the cash and are committed to a Warwick, go for it. It is certainly a much higher level bass than the Brice ....

17. I've got a 6 string TRB6 II which I got converted to fretless. I love it..... and can recommend it !!

18. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Thanks everyone for the help :hyper: