Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless 7 progress pic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Say hello to Grace, my third Stambaugh.

2. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Dizamn that looks nice man. What are the specs?

3. Maple & purpleheart neck through maple wings w/flamed maple top, maple-bound bubinga-lined maccassar ebony fingerboard, single Aero humbucker+piezo bridge, Bartolini preamp(can't recall which model), separate blendable outputs for mag & piezo, WIDE(ouch)spacing, extended 'thumbrest'/fingerboard, uh, ummm....
    Chris told me the wood & finish should be done next week. :hyper: Then we wait on hardware. :( Then we learn to play... :help: He(Chris)also said he would send some more pics in a day or two- I'll keep you guys posted.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Just curious,what type of piezo bridge system are you using?

5. That's still up in the air- I'll ask Chris tomorrow.

6. Wow. That sounds KILLER!!! Gotta love that fingerboard grain too
    :D

7. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    that looks gorgeous!

how wide is "WIDE" spacing?

8. Yeah, Chris called & said he had this sweet piece of mac ebony, but it wouldn't be wide enough unless he added binding. I was like, "Oh yeah!" Lokire, I keep thinking it was either you or jayt that got me thinking of the dual outputs- do you have a 5 string Stammie?

9. For me, 3/4", or about 19mm. But I like to have plenty of meat on either side of the outside strings so I don't slip off w/my trademark sloppy technique. :rolleyes:

10. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    cool! I'd like to see what you think of it when its done.. I'm spec'ing out a 7 string but have been scared to go with the 19mm spacing I'm used to. should be interesting...

11. Your new toy looks most excellent! :D

Can't wait for more pictures to be posted.

Matthew

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    It looks beautiful! What sort of finish will it have?

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Wow, that looks sweet!! Mine should be done very very soon. When I go up to pick mine up, I'll have to snap a few more pictures.

I love that binding. :cool:

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Awesome!! I'm getting that "bloated Stambaugh" feeling again myself!!

:D

15. That looks slick. I really like the fingerboard extension.

One question, what is the bump on the bottom near where the jack would be? My thought is that it's for a locking jack, but it also looks pretty big. Is it going to have one of those 13 pin outputs for the piezos?

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow, looks great and great specs! Great pickup combo. I love all that maple...and the binding is a nice touch. If I ever decide to get an additional bass, I've got to talk to Stambaugh! There have been so many lovelies...

Marshall

17. 13 pin = Midi output........

and yeah, is that in the plans?

18. Replies, anyway-
    1. Jaucqo, it will have an ABM bridge. I'm not sure if they make a stock 7/piezo or if Chris will have to modify something.
    2. Elros, I think I asked for oil- if not, polyurethane, like my fretted 6 Stammie.
    3. Geoffe, the bump is where the dual output jacks were going to go, but I've talked to Chris & he's going to relocate them on the face of the bass(so I can plug in, sit down & space out...). The fingerboard ext. was/is my idea- I sketched it & mailed the drawing in, along w/my design for the inlay.
    4. Jacksonsmen, no midi. Maybe next bass...

Everybody else, thanks for the comments. New pics may take a few days; I'm really trying not to bother or rush the man. On my 6, it missed being in Bassplayer mag's buyer's guide by a couple of days. :(

Edit: Hey, Joe- feel free to post pics. Finger the bass if you get the chance. ;)

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thanks bassteban.

20. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    sweet!