Fretless acoustic 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by windus, Mar 31, 2004.

1. windus

Sep 4, 2003
    Anyone know of someone who makes fretless 6-string acoustic/electrics? I'm looking into one, but I don't have that much money to spend on it, somewhere between $500-$1000. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    This has been asked a few times. There are no production 6 string acoustic basses. There are some that have been custom made in the past, but I don't remember the names of the luthiers.
  3. I don't think you'll ever find one that cheap.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He'll be lucky if he finds one.. period.
  5. Yeah, I agree. Without going totally custom, it won't happen. And we all know how expensive custom acoustics are!
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have one. I can't imagine you have a prayer of getting one for $500-1000, though. Mine was several times that from an English maker, when the exchange rate with the pound was much better. The closest thing might be the guy recently mentioned in another thread ... can't remember the name ... something McCombs? I think he's in the Pacific NW somewhere.
  7. Somebody had one here on TB a few months ago. I'm not sure if it had frets or not. I actually think that it did, but if you can track down whoever built it, they would probably do a fretless for you. Again, though, you're never going to find a fretless six string ABG for a grand.