Fretless Acoustic Uses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlbarlow, May 14, 2005.

1. mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Just wondering,

Those of you who use fretless acoustics, what types of music do you play? I'm interested in buying one, and I'm wondering what kinds of gigs they work best on.

2. Well, I have a fretted acoustic with flatwounds. Not quite what your saying, but close enough for what I'm gonna say. Its not gonna be very loud unamped, at all. Fine for by yourself, but even vs. 1 classical guitar, you'd be in a little trouble I'd say. Otherwise, sweet woody tone. I like it. You can make it work anywhere really...Just yesterday I was getting the funk on..
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    They can work for anything you'd use a fretted acoustic on. I use mine for jazz (both straightahead and Frisellish or Medeski-Martin-Woodish), folk, or any kind of acoustic music, really. I've used it on a couple of scores for small indie films too.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I use my fretless ABG, on all styles of music.
    Great for blues, bluegrass, jazz, and that singer songwriter
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Fretless Tacoma ABG player here, and I use it on anything where a good warm sound is in play. I've done loads of pop/rock kinda stuff on it as well as jazz and bluegrass type music. I can honestly say it is the one bass that doesn't have a price on its head. Also, When I feel like I am drained from playing a lot of electric or fretted electric this bass is like the re-energizer.