Fretless advice - help me choose.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvoMan, Aug 30, 2004.

1. I am looking for my first fretless and need some advice. I am willing to spend up to around $1200 or perhaps more for the right bass, but could also spend $300 if a Cort Curbow or MTD Kingston is the right choice.

Here is what I need:

Prefer a 4 string, but could be convinced to get a 5 (but with a 34" neck).

I want a very bright sound with loads of buzziness/mwah. I'm not really a fan of warm and woody sounds, so rosewood is out of the question. I will definitely use roundwound strings. I have no major biases against anything.

My favorite fretless thus far has been the Pedulla Buzz basses and I had a deal for one before the buyer flaked on me. So I assume I need a synthetic fretboard, like a Ebanol/Diamondwood type or one coated with an epoxy, like the Buzz.

I've never tried a Lightwave equiped bass, so not sure if that is a viable option for this kind of sound.

Any advice? Anything I am not thinking of. Why not just get a Pedulla Buzz? I am hoping that people have some good advice that leads me to something I might like better.

As always, Thanks.
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Pedulla are great basses.
    Fretless Musucman
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    IMO the best fretless out there is the Roscoe. The 4 strings are 34" scale. Not likely that you'll find one less than $1,500.
    Aside from Roscoe I'd say the Pedulla's would be my next choice. There's a Penta-buzz on for $1,000. Not sure of it's condition but that's a great price.
  4. My choice would be (and was) to buy a '62 reissue (I bought mine new, but you should be able to find a used piece for under a $1000) and have a qualified person do the epoxy for you....and DON'T pay more than $250/$300. Just MHO but 'nuthin tops the Jazz for THE tone.
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    This is within your price range. PM me for details. IMO you won't find a better fretless for any kind of dollar. No Zon, Pedulla, MTD that I've played stands up.
  6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    EvoMan - your instincts on Pedulla are correct. Buzz mhaw that slices - sounds ultra-modern - none of that Jaco/Gary Willis Fender woody-ness.

I've owned several fretless basses- I only started getting any good at fretless until I got the Pedulla- know why? Cuz I play it all the time! I love playing it!

That's key - fretless (even with lines) is tought to nail intonation consistently without lots of practice. SO get a fretless you will absolutely LOVE playing otherwise you might not be into devoting the time necessary to getting it down. I am by no means a master - but the sheer joy of playing the Pedulla makes me believe that someday I'll actually be able to pull it off hardcore!

Now - I know it's common practice around here for people to talk about basses and simply post pictures - but I'd like to start a new trend - and I don't even care if it's me that actually starts it. Let's start posting sound clips so people can HEAR what basses and gear sounds like!

I really don't care what stuff looks like - I can get that at the manufacturers page. I want ot HEAR stuff. I'll start.

This is a groove on my Pedulla PentaBuzz (w/hi-c string)

Mostly bridge Jazz pickup with just a hair of P neck pup mixed in. Nickle strings.

I can still get a straight up P-bass tone with the neck pup if I want it (I rarely do)

Save more money - get a pedulla. You'll be glad you did.