Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless advice - help me choose.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvoMan, Aug 30, 2004.

1. I am looking for my first fretless and need some advice. I am willing to spend up to around $1200 or perhaps more for the right bass, but could also spend $300 if a Cort Curbow or MTD Kingston is the right choice.

Here is what I need:

Prefer a 4 string, but could be convinced to get a 5 (but with a 34" neck).

I want a very bright sound with loads of buzziness/mwah. I'm not really a fan of warm and woody sounds, so rosewood is out of the question. I will definitely use roundwound strings. I have no major biases against anything.

My favorite fretless thus far has been the Pedulla Buzz basses and I had a deal for one before the buyer flaked on me. So I assume I need a synthetic fretboard, like a Ebanol/Diamondwood type or one coated with an epoxy, like the Buzz.

I've never tried a Lightwave equiped bass, so not sure if that is a viable option for this kind of sound.

Any advice? Anything I am not thinking of. Why not just get a Pedulla Buzz? I am hoping that people have some good advice that leads me to something I might like better.

As always, Thanks.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Pedulla are great basses.
    Fretless Musucman
    Wal

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMO the best fretless out there is the Roscoe. The 4 strings are 34" scale. Not likely that you'll find one less than $1,500.
    Aside from Roscoe I'd say the Pedulla's would be my next choice. There's a Penta-buzz on bassgear.com for $1,000. Not sure of it's condition but that's a great price.

4. My choice would be (and was) to buy a '62 reissue (I bought mine new, but you should be able to find a used piece for under a $1000) and have a qualified person do the epoxy for you....and DON'T pay more than $250/$300. Just MHO but 'nuthin tops the Jazz for THE tone.

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    This is within your price range. PM me for details. IMO you won't find a better fretless for any kind of dollar. No Zon, Pedulla, MTD that I've played stands up.
    [​IMG]

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    EvoMan - your instincts on Pedulla are correct. Buzz mhaw that slices - sounds ultra-modern - none of that Jaco/Gary Willis Fender woody-ness.

I've owned several fretless basses- I only started getting any good at fretless until I got the Pedulla- know why? Cuz I play it all the time! I love playing it!

That's key - fretless (even with lines) is tought to nail intonation consistently without lots of practice. SO get a fretless you will absolutely LOVE playing otherwise you might not be into devoting the time necessary to getting it down. I am by no means a master - but the sheer joy of playing the Pedulla makes me believe that someday I'll actually be able to pull it off hardcore!

Now - I know it's common practice around here for people to talk about basses and simply post pictures - but I'd like to start a new trend - and I don't even care if it's me that actually starts it. Let's start posting sound clips so people can HEAR what basses and gear sounds like!

I really don't care what stuff looks like - I can get that at the manufacturers page. I want ot HEAR stuff. I'll start.

This is a groove on my Pedulla PentaBuzz (w/hi-c string)

Mostly bridge Jazz pickup with just a hair of P neck pup mixed in. Nickle strings.

http://www.beautiful-bass.com/PENTABUZZGROOVE.mp3

I can still get a straight up P-bass tone with the neck pup if I want it (I rarely do)

Save more money - get a pedulla. You'll be glad you did.