Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by progplayer, Dec 4, 2001.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Curious, what do you fretless players out there use. I might consider a new head but....

2. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I just use the same amp for my fretted, but i also like a really punchy/bright sound from my bass (punk style).

3. Ampeg BA-115. It really gets a nice upright tone.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When I'm not using my AMP BH-420 (no longer available) my Ashdown MAG 400 sounds excellent through EA cabs. Not too shabby through my Eden D210XLTs either.

5. I tend to go direct these days. Laziness, mostly. I do think, though, that to cut through you need a bit more power for a fretless with flats than you do for the same bass fretted.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I'm still using my same amps - Crate BX-100 and an SWR Workingman's 10. Both sound even better than before I got my fretless. When I was in high school, we had a SWR California Blonde that we ran the acoustic bass through - that was truly an awesome sound to behold!

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Carvin R600 head, biamped, highest frequencies boosted, mids boosted a tiny bit to bring out the mwah more, sub bass boosted, everything else cut a little bit. (kinda a "W" shape on the graphic eq) i send the highs to a 210+tweeter cab with the tweeter turned off, and the lows to a single 18. i like the way it sounds for jazz and latin stuff. good mwah, really nice tone, but not too loud. on the poweramp controls, i jack up the lows as far as i can without clipping, and then put in highs until i can hear them clearly. because of this i end up cutting the bass boost on my bass, and the mid as well. treble gets boosted a litltle bit. i set my balance about half way between the J/HB pickups, with the coil tap engaged on the HB pickup, and i blend in a tiny bit o the piezos. when i play in my rock band i hafta go full range and just crank it.

i realize that because i boost some places adn cut elsewhere, im kinda cancelling out my own eqing, but trust me, it does make a difference. or at least i like to think so :D

8. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    I've heard that the Walter Woods amps are preferred by those who play stand-up basses, and jazz players who play stand-up and/or electric.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Same as my fretteds, SWR Basic Black or Eden Metro.

10. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Silk Purse/ Eden D-210XLT
    Sows Ear?(to some) Peavey Firebass II
    I "need" a parametric EQ.