Fretless and Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bcarll, Jul 13, 2002.

1. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Spent the day in and out of guitar shops just browsing and noticed that all the fretless basses I looked at had flatwounds on them. Having never owned a fretless or used flatwounds my question is -- is it a requirement to use the flats on the fretless? Have to say they really felt good on the fingers and I may have to try a set on my next string change.

2. No, flats are not a requirement. Feel free to use any string types that strike your fancy.

If you choose to use roundwounds, though, keep in mind that they will incur more wear and tear on the fretboard over time (how MUCH time varies widely, depending on setup, board wood, and technique).

Personally, I like using TI Jazz Flats on my fretless.
  3. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    You might want to also consider tapewound
    for fretless. I use Labella tapewounds - they sound and feel great.
  4. trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    TI JR344 rounds on my fretless. Mwah out the yin-yang, great feel. The Refined Roundwound.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would second the Labella tapewound suggestion. I have them on two fretlesses, and I love them. They are a little brighter than steel flats, but smooth as silk. And they look cool.....
  6. After 5 gigs, my EXL220 rounds are starting to chew into my finger board, so I will have to go back to flats.

Bummer. The rounds really mwah for me, but I can't abide the damage.

Anybody have long term experience with Elixir or ??? that will give fretless round wound mwah, but without the wear?
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    An epoxy coating on the fretboard.
  8. I use GHS Brite Flats exclusively on my fretless. They allow me to get a little livelier tone than most other flatwounds because they're ground flat rather than having a flat wrap...they represent the best of both worlds (i.e. flatwound and roundwound) to me.