Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless and Roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by absinthe, Mar 18, 2002.

1. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    Advice urgently required!

I'm in the market for a new bass - and I've decided to go the 5-string-fretless road. But the string question is bugging me now....

I've heard some people say that you should never, EVER use roundwound strings on a fretless as they will "chew up" the fingerboard.

Is this true? Do I need to use flatwounds on a fretless? I do hope not cos I do prefer the sound of roundwounds.

Pitypoorgothwench! Give a girl the benefit of your collected wisdom, please.
    :rolleyes: <<---- (*seriously* pathetic look) Is this working?

2. but i can tell you that you DO NOT ever want to use round wounds on a fretless..... there is nothing to keep the roundness from chewing into the board everytimne you finger a note....... now if your planning on playing all open strings i dont think it would hurt anything but that is prolly not going to happen................ use flats

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Huh?

For most people roundwounds are the only way to go on fretless, when you want to achieve what is considered a modern or "jaco-like" sound.

Victor Wooten, Alain Caron, Gary Willis, and most others use roundwounds.

You may have to sand down the fretboard once in a while, but the sound is worth it.

4. I ALWAYS use roundwounds on my fretless, and the sound is definitely worth the little sacrifices of good maintenance.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    In your opinion ;)

I have bought one flat wound & one ground wound set on recomendations of other bassists (the same that said I needed a DOD envolope filter :rolleyes: ... ) I kept each set on a bass for no more then a week. They were totally NOT me.

As a matter of fact I ONLY use Stainless Steel Roundwounds on my fretless bass.

I do coat my fretboards with epoxy too

6. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    Thanks for the pointers, guys.

I'll probably take time and try them both - but now I know the fretboard won't disintegrate at the first touch of a roundwound, I won't panic. :D

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    must you continuously coat the board with epoxy, or is it a one-shot deal?

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Consider Elixir or D'Addario EXP strings, too. Much less wear because they are Teflon coated.