Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless at the flick of a switch...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Bass, Jan 2, 2001.

1. saw this ad in a bassplayer issue from 1994...

The new Fretless Wizard from Biaxe!

Biaxe Retrofits is the name of the company, and it´s based in Stamford...

anyone know what this is, what it does and if it´s still being manufactured?

just thought it was interesting....

btw... I can scan the ad if anyone´s interested in seeing it..

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I remember about the add.
    I asked, back then, the music store if they could order one for me...and they didn't want to. He had no idea what i was talking about, but he said it sound like ****....

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    how come when i use the word **** i have those * instead...it's not a really bad word....

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

tishtishtishtish

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :D

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    About 6 or 7 years ago,I went to hear a friend's band in a bar and the bass player had a bass with a removable fretboard.It was held on the neck with magnets and he could go between fretted and fretless in about 40 seconds w/o touching the strings! I can't remember who made it though.

7. the company was called Novatone, I think. I also remember seeing on a UK TV program "Tomorrow's World" some guy who'd built a bass with retractable frets to switch between fretted and fretless by turning a lever. both ideas offer a big can of worms as to the effect on tone and sustain.....

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    There's a black Fender Jazz on ebay right now that has what I believe to be a Novatone system on it. (Can't find auction now). It has 4 different fingerboards.

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN