Fretless at the flick of a switch...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Bass, Jan 2, 2001.

1. saw this ad in a bassplayer issue from 1994...

The new Fretless Wizard from Biaxe!

Biaxe Retrofits is the name of the company, and it´s based in Stamford...

anyone know what this is, what it does and if it´s still being manufactured?

just thought it was interesting....

btw... I can scan the ad if anyone´s interested in seeing it..
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I remember about the add.
    I asked, back then, the music store if they could order one for me...and they didn't want to. He had no idea what i was talking about, but he said it sound like ****....

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    how come when i use the word **** i have those *'s not a really bad word....
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    About 6 or 7 years ago,I went to hear a friend's band in a bar and the bass player had a bass with a removable fretboard.It was held on the neck with magnets and he could go between fretted and fretless in about 40 seconds w/o touching the strings! I can't remember who made it though.
  7. the company was called Novatone, I think. I also remember seeing on a UK TV program "Tomorrow's World" some guy who'd built a bass with retractable frets to switch between fretted and fretless by turning a lever. both ideas offer a big can of worms as to the effect on tone and sustain.....
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    There's a black Fender Jazz on ebay right now that has what I believe to be a Novatone system on it. (Can't find auction now). It has 4 different fingerboards.
  9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN