1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless B String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Benner, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Hey all,

I saw a 5 string Warwick that had a fretless B string, but the other 4 strings had frets. ??? Anyone else ever see something like this before?

Attached Files:

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    :eek:

Is that definitely a warwick?

I have seen one other bass in a similar vein, it was a 5 er and the A & D strings were fretless and the rest fretted.

3. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Why would you have only 1 string fretless, or a combination of random strings in the "middle" of the bass? kinda doesn't make sense to me. I mean Sure someone might want to do it for the tone difference etc., but I think it would just be wierd to play or that the bass wouldn't feel "consistent".

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    No strings have frets now do they? :bag:

Then again, what if all fretboards were fretless, and we bought fretted strings. Hmm might I be on to something here? :D

5. no.
    that's just silly.

and *** is the point of only one string fretless. and a B of all possible strings....

6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    sometimes "hybrids" do neither thing well.

I recall a bass back in the 80s that was fretted to the 5th or 7th fret and then fretless.

7. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Looks to me like a Warwick Fortress with an aftermarket neck.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe they didnt like the fretbuzz on the B string or something.

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not the same thing as with that fretless B string, but what i wonder is how someone would play on that fingerboard, and remain with clean and accurate tone.

10. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    Shouldn't be too much of a problem to play that bass cleanly... I've never had any problems playing my 7-string in the higher positions and I promise it's at least as wide as that bass up there. And personally I'd rather have a bass like that one than a "regular" erb 8-string...

11. First, it's a nine-string :D, second - but with or without fretmarkers on fretless side?

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That looks like EADG fretless than BEADG fretted...pretty cool.

Marshall