Fretless bass: addictive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, Oct 31, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I've finally got my fretless into really good playing condition. I only now realize what you guys are talking about when you say "mwah".

Now I'm completely hooked. I think its the tone that I can get out of it more than anything, but I'm completely neglecting my upright, and haven't touched my fretted Pedulla in over a week. Anyone else go through this when they first got into fretless?
  2. Yes. So much so, that I've traded my 4-string for a 5-string and am waiting impatiently for it to get here! :hyper:
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

sometimes I point and laugh at my fretted basses

but then I am rather ugly on the inside at times :smug:
  4. mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    I'm going through the same situation. I recently got a fretless bass... and I can't play my Pedulla Thunderbolt anymore. Well sometimes, but not for long. The same with my cello!
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've only had my fretless for two weeks, but I'm finding it mighty hard to put down.

I'm not sure that it qualifies as "addiction" just yet, but I'm working on it. :D
  6. There was a period of about 2 months, when I first got my fretless, that I said numerous times "I might never play fretted again". Of course, I got over that. I LOVE my fretless, but I think it was just the shock and initial love that you feel for it. It's a whole other world from a fretted bass so when I first got mine I went nuts for it and fell in love right away. I still am in love with it of couse and I recently broke the G string on my fretted bass, so I have a good excuse to spend some time with it again. I think my Schecter is getting jealous though.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I play fretless more than fretted in practice, but I take a fretted gigging with me.
  8. Slap and pop funk stuff never does sound quite right on a fretless. But for rock and country (It's a treat when a good ol boy comes up and says, "I think yer missin yer frets" and you reply "I don't need no stinkin frets") it's fabulous!!
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If you've got a good fretless bass it's hard to not play it :D My fretless basses get the bulk of the work, but there are situations where the fretted stuff is a must for me. It looks like I have a new funk gig coming up which will be mostly fretted stuff, but fretless playing will always be my first preference ....... :cool:
  10. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I've had my fretless for a little over three weeks now and I have had a similar experience. Once I swapped out the stock roundwounds for flats, I have had a hard time putting it down!

After a couple of practices with the band and having few issues with playing in tune, I played my first gig with it on Saturday and lived to tell! I played the whole first set with it and then alternated with the fretted over the next three sets, depending on the song. I wasn't comfortable enough to sing the two songs I sing lead on while playing fretless, yet.

I got a call to sit in with a blues/RB band I used to play regularly with and plan on playing the whole night with the fretless.

I feel much more in tune with the instrument and definitely feel my ear is improving, or maybe it was good all along and I've just learn to trust myself more! I've always had this secret fear that I really suck at bass and will one day be exposed, well, I guess the fretless will settle that score for good one way or the other now!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I enjoy sitting on the floor, indian style, and playing my fretless when im in the mood,other times i still reach for my fretted sterling and just play some runs and some slap things, just to keep my hands nimble. The fretted gets more playing time in the band as well, although for a few of the songs, thje vibe of the fretless just works.
  12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I really wish I had more time for fretless.
  13. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    just a question, which strings are better for giving the fretless it's "mwah" sound, Flatwound or Roundwound because thats the sound I love
  14. i defretted my bass, and i loved it. couldn't put it down. then i bought a 5 string fretless, which was great. i returned it, though, because i really started to miss frets.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I play both fretted and fretless.
    There was a time for about 8 years were all I played was fretless.
    I find I'am more expressive on fretless.
    But sometimes you just need that fretted thump.
    Now I play about 50% each.
    I let song dictate what bass?
  16. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I want to be addicted, but I can only get my fix at music stores at the moment. :crying:
  17. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    It is truely addictive. What gave me the fretless bug was the way fretless basses "sing". They seem to have more of a voice which I really dig. I only have an MTD Kingston, nothing too out-there, but I love it.
  18. Same here, tho occasionally I miss that "zing" of a fretted bass, like on Nirvana's "Come as you are". But fretless IS addictive, I have to admit.
  19. try SLIDING on Come As You Are, sends those happy chills down my spine. :D
  20. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ever realize that makes music stores like crackhouses? :p