1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless bass - Danish oil finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by shirojiro, Jan 11, 2005.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I just wanted to share what I've been doing to my Brice V2 5 string fretless.

I've been happy with the bass, but I wanted to get a little snap and growl out of the tone. I decided to put Watco Danish oil finish on the board since I used to do the same on a Peavey Foundation bass (defret) with a maple board.

For some reason, the Brice folks put a black stain on the rosewood fretboard. It's hard to remove. I lightly sanded the fretboard and finished it with 0000 steel wool. I also rounded the edges of the fretboard to give it a little more "rolled" feel.

The oil finish goes on super easily, but the black stain keeps on coming up on the rags. I've got about 5 coats into it right now.

After letting it dry overnight on the last coat, I strung it up, and it's definitely got more snap to the sound. It's a more defined to my ear now, and slapping sounds brighter for sure.

I think that it'll help keep the wear down as well since I'm using roundwounds.

-S

2. The bass, I mean. I worked in a cabinet shop that did oil finishes almost exclusively- sometimes the stuff would ooze up out of the wood's pores for a week! Watch for this, & wipe it up before it dries or it will leave ugly little spots. I finished my son's mini fretless this way. Looks nice & I believe the oil hardens the surface slightly.